Got a clam question? We've got you covered right here.

LED92586

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 30 gal. Bio cube and found a critter in the water flow area before the filter. See pic. Does anyone recognize it?
20180706_161500.jpeg

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well..........

Just picked up a 5” Deresa at my local petco.

$75, 30 day guarantee.

My local petco move a lot of salt water stuff, including clams. They just got this one in Thursday and it was fully open since it arrived

Dripping now along with 2 purple short spine urchins.

The clam is opening and closing during drip so I am taking that as a good thing

Will post pics of him open and in the tank tomorrow when the lights come on

b3efa41a1aff3e81d7a6ba4b1aa9b7ac.jpg

078ad8f69d4081417e10d4f3f93d6388.jpg

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! Don't drip for to long;) that's a great looking clam, happy for you.

It’s in the tank!

Dropped for an hour and a half. Salinity was at 1.019 and I am at 1.026.

We’ll see it in the morning.

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys I have a dilemma.
I have bought several different kinds of clams. All from Liveaquaria. All over 2" to max 3".
Every one of them opens and does well. Shows colors and wide open then one day after one week I wake up and it's gone. All of them don't last past 7-10 days.
No sign of distress no sign or problems and from healthy looking for few day to dead overnight.
Tank parameters:

AI hydra hd x 6 on 8ft long tank
12pm startup, ramp 4 hr to max
From 4pm to 9pm max (20k)
9pm ramp down 4 hr.

Max PAR on sandbed 150-250.
Areas where clams were would be 180-220

Temp 79-80 stable
Sal 1.025-1.026
pH 8.0
Alk 7.5-8 dkh
Cal 440-450
Mag 1600
Nitrates 2-5 (sodium nitrate dosing)
Phos 0-0.03 (lanthanum chloride)

Cal reactor, sulfur denitrator, recir skimmer

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be a lot of things from protazoans to parasites, shipping, starvation from the place you bought the clam from. Unless I really trust the supplier, I always try to visually inspect a clam before purchase to look for pyramids, new shell growth, etc.

LED92586

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 30 gal. Bio cube and found a critter in the water flow area before the filter. See pic. Does anyone recognize it?
20180706_161500.jpeg
HELP? ANYONE? In case the picture isn't clear it's a shell of sorts with a tube coming up out of it. It is alive; when I touched it the tube was sucked back into the shell. I'm curious to find out what it is. I looked up coquina and that's not it... if anyone recognizes this creature please reply.

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be a lot of things from protazoans to parasites, shipping, starvation from the place you bought the clam from. Unless I really trust the supplier, I always try to visually inspect a clam before purchase to look for pyramids, new shell growth, etc.

So I got this clam from LA divers den. Its a aquaculture biota lab derasa clam. It's almost 5". Been in tank for 3rd day today.
I floated it and drip acclimated it which I never did before.
Shell is extremely clean and can't even tell if there are grooves for growth like maxima clams do. No pests or algae or snail etc.
I placed it on sand bed where flow is low and led PAR is 260.
As of today all parameters are steady and stable like mentioned in earlier post.
Here is a pic.
Gapping is slightly more than normal?
20180713_171740.jpg
20180713_171734.jpg

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That clam looks pretty happy. The incurrent siphon is open a little but I dont see any gaping. Looks like a healthy clam, just keep an eye out for new shell growth.

Ksmmike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I bought a Maxima clam from ORA on Friday afternoon. It's now Monday morning and it has yet to open. It's in the sand bed of a 120 gallon. My water parameters are clean, barely
any phosphates or nitrates that register and salinity at 26. I was told to lower the salinity to 24 for better coral growth, but that's a separate issue. Should I rock the clam and try to burp it, or leave it alone for another day or so and see if it opens on its own? I have 2 radion 4 pro lights on the system, so there is plenty of light. Maybe move the clam higher and put it in the rocks?
Any thoughts are appreciate.

TheSchwenkster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I bought a Maxima clam from ORA on Friday afternoon. It's now Monday morning and it has yet to open. It's in the sand bed of a 120 gallon. My water parameters are clean, barely
any phosphates or nitrates that register and salinity at 26. I was told to lower the salinity to 24 for better coral growth, but that's a separate issue. Should I rock the clam and try to burp it, or leave it alone for another day or so and see if it opens on its own? I have 2 radion 4 pro lights on the system, so there is plenty of light. Maybe move the clam higher and put it in the rocks?
Pictures of placement and / or full tank shot?

TVo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Anyone ever successfully kept clams in bare bottom tanks? What did you let the clam attach to? I really like them but afraid to get one and have it not work out in my bare bottom tank.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
Without knowing the par I'd say being on the bottom of the 120 is to low. Maximas need a lot of light. You'd be surprised how little light you get on the sand bed.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone ever successfully kept clams in bare bottom tanks? What did you let the clam attach to? I really like them but afraid to get one and have it not work out in my bare bottom tank.
I'd suggest a squamosa or a derasa around 4" or bigger. We kept clams for years on barebottom glass and never had issues. The smaller clams would even attach there abyssal threads directly to the glass. Here's a pic of our old squamosa on just glass.
20180717_213851.jpg

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 202 71.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 21 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 53 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 2.8%
Back