Got a clam question? We've got you covered right here.

jimmyzhou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pick up 5 Clam for soo cheap on lfs they was not opening up. Not healthy at all. The lfs temp tank is like 88-90. Lolz. Soo talk to them and got it for stealing prices I have 3 of them 2 weeks all healthy now. Pick up 2 yestoday. Not full open. Let see after few days how’s works
7cf1a69f4695333d5d71c0ea53fa4cc9.jpg
e40e003eaa703f1eb24f61c0a21bf0b9.jpg
bd242a0dbdc66100a38eaf172f6b3db1.jpg

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't tend to buy book and done reading in few hours and it will sit somewhere in my house collecting dust :)

I like books. No, I love books. Shelves and shelves of them, gathering dust, waiting for the moment when I call on them again. With a good book like this one, you have a ready source of condensed information right at your fingertips. And doing an internet search, as useful as they often are, will generally take longer and provide less useful information (although possibly more current.)

It's unfortunate that this book, like so many fine references, is out of print; this raises prices to ridiculous levels. I bought mine from a shelf of 'dusty' books at my lfs, at a discounted price. :)

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do love books too and I actually have a book shelves filled with our Asian Novel Books and TBH I didn't read it again pretty much over 20 years+ and trust me some of my books series on my shelves I still remembers pretty much whole series after many years...I got darn good long term memory.....

c2l2parker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just starting to look into clams and have heard varying responses to whether or not clams would do good with T5 lighting in a 24" tall tank. What are your thoughts on this? I'm looking into getting a ATI Sun Power 8 bulb for my 120 and I would love to be able to add a clam or two later on down the line.
I have just 4 T5 bulbs on my 180 (72”x 24” x 24”). With this level of light, I have found that larger clams (4” or more) have no issues. I haven’t had much luck with smaller 2” clams, but that may or may not be due to lighting. For the last 2 years I have had a 4” (now 6”) maxima sitting on the sand, and in the past have had other maximas and a derosa that grew like crazy. I don’t feed them directly, which may be why my smaller ones didn’t fair well, but I do add small amounts of phyto to the tank.

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does this guy look ok?
20171014_204806.jpg

20171015_114105.jpg
Look healthy to me and beautiful color.
Since these clams are in vast variety of colors so It's hard to tell those white patch are bleached spots or its just the clam marking, other than that it's got unique color.

Sonam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our maximus clam died suddenly overnighted. Not sure what happened but it was open last night looking normal. It was, however constantly on the sandbed since we got it. It was never able to attach to a rock for some reason so we left it in the sand.
Its an empty shell now.

Sonam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our maximus clam died suddenly overnighted. Not sure what happened but it was open last night looking normal. It was, however constantly on the sandbed since we got it. It was never able to attach to a rock for some reason so we left it in the sand.
Its an empty shell now.
8b5b57cb38ecc8b75bdfa7092ca627f6.jpg
d1fc8743b24bfd28c2b85dd42a75c434.jpg

The second photo is from two days ago.

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8b5b57cb38ecc8b75bdfa7092ca627f6.jpg
d1fc8743b24bfd28c2b85dd42a75c434.jpg

The second photo is from two days ago.
You clam already dying out 2 days ago, there is no show a new shell margin grow. How long do you have it?.
It wasn't a healthy clam, from the picture look like it's only 1.5 in.
Was it stay side way like that all the time? and what's light system on your tank?

Sonam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It came with an upgrade about a month and a half ago.
It never seemed "happy". The people from our LFS installed the new system and placed it on some rock but it never stayed there.
We finally just left it on that sand.
We have Orbit IC LEDs with a loop controller.
We had a disaster a few weeks ago with an outbreak of marine velvet (to say this "upgrade" we left to our trusted LFS to design has turned out to be a huge disappointment) after an apparent mini-cycle due to the increased tank size.
The upgrade is 125 gallons and the previous system was 90 gallons. That system was stable for 5 years.
Anyway, the main display is fishless right now while we wait out the fish parasite.
We are scheduled for a water change tomorrow. (We had this dream we could step back from the work part of the maintenance but it's totally backfired. Now we're running a QT system plus our main one).
But as a Derasa clam we also have is now closed we did some testing ourselves.
Ammonia is undetectable
Nitrite undetectable
Nitrate is high, somewhere around 50ppm
Sg 1.025
Corals are looking ok and snails etc are all acting normal.

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It came with an upgrade about a month and a half ago.
It never seemed "happy". The people from our LFS installed the new system and placed it on some rock but it never stayed there.
We finally just left it on that sand.
We have Orbit IC LEDs with a loop controller.
We had a disaster a few weeks ago with an outbreak of marine velvet (to say this "upgrade" we left to our trusted LFS to design has turned out to be a huge disappointment) after an apparent mini-cycle due to the increased tank size.
The upgrade is 125 gallons and the previous system was 90 gallons. That system was stable for 5 years.
Anyway, the main display is fishless right now while we wait out the fish parasite.
We are scheduled for a water change tomorrow. (We had this dream we could step back from the work part of the maintenance but it's totally backfired. Now we're running a QT system plus our main one).
But as a Derasa clam we also have is now closed we did some testing ourselves.
Ammonia is undetectable
Nitrite undetectable
Nitrate is high, somewhere around 50ppm
Sg 1.025
Corals are looking ok and snails etc are all acting normal.
Nitrate is high but not lethal to kill anything short amount of time.
Your system is 125G so my guess the tank depth is 24 inches? Your Orbit IC LED light is weak to keep them healthy if you place them on sand bed, tank bottom, your derasa will have same fate like other clam. You MUST move the clam high up and close to the light, your light system might be ok for some low light corals but it's not enough for Maxima clams nor derasa if you place it on sand bed. For now keep your clams near surface as possible (1~9 inches below water line for derasa, any deeper depth is a dead penalty for your clam and it's might be already too late.)

Last edited:

Sonam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
d26389b2f40df6cc098485414954f8c6.jpg

We moved it per your advice and it opened up today. The lights are starting sunset mode in this photo.

Thank you all for the advice!

Syed123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will a 120 gallon standard tank (4 foot x 2 foot x 2 foot)be good for housing a Squamosa clam long term? Or will a bigger tank be needed? What minimum tank size would work?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back