Got a pistol shrimp today!

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tiny little guy (Randall's pistol shrimp), put him right in front of the rock pile I wanted him to build his little home under. He started digging right away, my Randall's goby found him in less than a minute and they bonded right away, great! Unfortunately, he dug right to the other side of the rock, into a little cave.

At least he's not in the back of the tank, I can still see him and the goby sort of fine, but of course I'd rather have them in a more visible spot. Any tricks to make him move, or is this simply his new home? He does have 2 entrances now, so hopefully they'll hang around both.

Marine Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tiny little guy (Randall's pistol shrimp), put him right in front of the rock pile I wanted him to build his little home under. He started digging right away, my Randall's goby found him in less than a minute and they bonded right away, great! Unfortunately, he dug right to the other side of the rock, into a little cave.

At least he's not in the back of the tank, I can still see him and the goby sort of fine, but of course I'd rather have them in a more visible spot. Any tricks to make him move, or is this simply his new home? He does have 2 entrances now, so hopefully they'll hang around both.
Congratulations!! A shrimp and goby pair is one of the coolest things in this hobby! Got any PIctures?

KWT

Keep on keepin on
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wife got a bonded pair, worked out great til the goby jumped, how we have no idea. He was not going til the next morning. Thought the pistol shrimp was gone, 3 weeks no sign of him. Then we see movement in his cave, and more movement when I spot feed him. Now spot feed, and I hear him popping at nite.

Bossman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to have a trigger or puffer, but afraid of what they'd do to my inverts or other fish

My pistol and yellow watchman moved from area to area. I wish they would have stayed in one spot. When they did this, they would knock over corals I had on the sandbed. But they were fun to watch.

OP
OP
Bars

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations!! A shrimp and goby pair is one of the coolest things in this hobby! Got any PIctures?
I'll see if I can snap a few tomorrow when the lights are on :)
The shrimp's popping is surprisingly loud. Although I knew they'd do it, it still freaked me out a little thinking the glass cracked or something.

Even though they could've chosen a better spot to call their home, I already love their behavior. Always fun to show stuff like this to visitors as well :D

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 33.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back