Got a Plague Need Guidance

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My turn on the merry go round. Looks like I’ll need to treat what I hope is Ich but based on the couple of images in the ID thread could be Velvet. Lights are out for the night and I will post images ASAP tomorrow. In the meantime I’d like to get some eyes on to start outlining a general plan. I will be taking Monday and Tuesday off to try and pull this off.

I believe this came in 9 or 10 days ago with the Spot Breast Angel. Aside from the visual spots/bumps none of the fish were acting oddly, hiding or flashing. Until UV lighting overwhelmed the blues late tonight I didn’t really see much of anything. With UV I saw spots on almost every fish I got a good look at. All are/were eating well and overall in great health prior to this showing up. I feed well with LRS and Mysis at a minimum once a day, usually twice along with Hikari pellets and some flake whenever i think to. I work from home often so they eat well, up to 4 times a day.

Ive never QT’d and need a good bit of guidance (Scold me Later).

I have a 40B, 18g cube, standard 10g and a 20ish gallon tub I sometimes use for water changes to work with. The 40B is currently running and I can quickly flip it into a hospital tank by removing all rock and sand. It has a sump, skimmer and loads of seeded bio media I do not care about trashing afterward. Enough media to get the other tanks going quickly too. I know its not ideal to do it this way but being that its the only way Ill really be able to setup 3 or 4 hospital tanks in a day i feel i need to go that route especially if it is Velvet. In fact I would even use the rock from this tank if need be and trash it afterward if thats going to be better.

Fish to treat: (An overwhelming number for a newb and some tricky according to what Ive read)

PBT
Yellow Tang
Spot Breast Angel
Long Nose Hawk
Sunburst Anthias
Red Mandarin
Saphire Damsels x2

Radiant Wrasse
Rose Band Fairy
Pintail Fairy
Crescent Tail Fairy
KwaZulu Fairy
Carpenters Flasher

Meds on Hand:

Ruby Reef Rally
Methylene Blue
PraziPro
General Cure
Kanaplex
Metroplex

Will have for Tuesday:

Hanna Copper Checker/Reagents: Overnight from BRS

Based on the little I know I’m assuming Copper of some sort to be my best bet for both Ich or Velvet? What’s my best and 2nd best option?

Ive read wrasse are trickier to treat with Copper but there’s been improvements with the Hanna? I separated them in case I need to treat differently or in a different level of copper.

What about the Mandarin? How to QT with no natural food source? This one does eat LRS, Mysis and Pellets but.....

How would you split these fish among the 3 tanks available? I will barely have room to do this as is so additional tanks aren’t really an option.

Monday will be spent getting tanks ready and getting a hold of whatever else I need.

Thanks in Advance!

@HotRocks @ngoodermuth

Last edited:

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pshhhhhh @Scurvy tagged the right people. No one needs that @4FordFamily guy. Lol. :)

Ok enough joking around. :eek:

@Scurvy big dirty fish need to go in the 40. YT, PBT, and Angel.

I'd probably put all six Wrasse in the 40 as well (depending on the sizes of all your fish) if you want to keep them together. Otherwise you can just spread the others out evenly amongst your other tanks.

Following for pics in the am. We need to determine if it's velvet or ich to decide how fast to ramp up your copper.

You can do this!

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pshhhhhh @Scurvy tagged the right people. No one needs that @4FordFamily guy. Lol. :)

Ok enough joking around. :eek:

@Scurvy big dirty fish need to go in the 40. YT, PBT, and Angel.

I'd probably put all six Wrasse in the 40 as well (depending on the sizes of all your fish) if you want to keep them together. Otherwise you can just spread the others out evenly amongst your other tanks.

Following for pics in the am. We need to determine if it's velvet or ich to decide how fast to ramp up your copper.

You can do this!
I felt bad for @4FordFamily.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming you have velvet, the easiest path is to treat with a chelated copper like Copper Power, except for the mandarin. It will require CP. Here's a handy chart for most popular fish types that can guide you with more information.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/fish-and-treatment-guidelines-with-chart.283450/#post-3449648

Yes, wrasses have been known to be somewhat copper sensitive. But your Hanna will give you the accuracy to prevent overdosing. That being said, with Velvet time is your enemy and suggest you get to therapeutic level within 48 hours. Therapeutic level to shoot for is 1.75 ppm. Regular small doses spread out throughout the day works best to allow you time to observe copper sensitive fish reacting to the copper dosing.

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to QT once when i first started and killed the fish within 30 min. That was enough to intimidate me into going without ever since.

With any luck you’ll tell me its ich and Ill lose most of the anxiety I have at the moment.

Will track down Copper Power and CP in the morning. Cant remember what the LFS had off hand.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to QT once when i first started and killed the fish within 30 min. That was enough to intimidate me into going without ever since.

With any luck you’ll tell me its ich and Ill lose most of the anxiety I have at the moment.

Will track down Copper Power and CP in the morning. Cant remember what the LFS had off hand.
We have it down to a science now, we’ve quarantined hundreds of fish. Unfortunately I’m betting on velvet— but severe ich is immensely fatal as well. Waiting us not your friend, 24 hours is a death sentence for many fish, unfortunately, during bad outbreaks...

NinnJinn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My turn on the merry go round. Looks like I’ll need to treat what I hope is Ich but based on the couple of images in the ID thread could be Velvet. Lights are out for the night and I will post images ASAP tomorrow. In the meantime I’d like to get some eyes on to start outlining a general plan. I will be taking Monday and Tuesday off to try and pull this off.

I believe this came in 9 or 10 days ago with the Spot Breast Angel. Aside from the visual spots/bumps none of the fish were acting oddly, hiding or flashing. Until UV lighting overwhelmed the blues late tonight I didn’t really see much of anything. With UV I saw spots on almost every fish I got a good look at. All are/were eating well and overall in great health prior to this showing up. I feed well with LRS and Mysis at a minimum once a day, usually twice along with Hikari pellets and some flake whenever i think to. I work from home often so they eat well, up to 4 times a day.

Ive never QT’d and need a good bit of guidance (Scold me Later).

I have a 40B, 18g cube, standard 10g and a 20ish gallon tub I sometimes use for water changes to work with. The 40B is currently running and I can quickly flip it into a hospital tank by removing all rock and sand. It has a sump, skimmer and loads of seeded bio media I do not care about trashing afterward. Enough media to get the other tanks going quickly too. I know its not ideal to do it this way but being that its the only way Ill really be able to setup 3 or 4 hospital tanks in a day i feel i need to go that route especially if it is Velvet. In fact I would even use the rock from this tank if need be and trash it afterward if thats going to be better.

Fish to treat: (An overwhelming number for a newb and some tricky according to what Ive read)

PBT
Yellow Tang
Spot Breast Angel
Long Nose Hawk
Sunburst Anthias
Red Mandarin
Saphire Damsels x2

Radiant Wrasse
Rose Band Fairy
Pintail Fairy
Crescent Tail Fairy
KwaZulu Fairy
Carpenters Flasher

Meds on Hand:

Ruby Reef Rally
Methylene Blue
PraziPro
General Cure
Kanaplex
Metroplex

Will have for Tuesday:

Hanna Copper Checker/Reagents: Overnight from BRS

Based on the little I know I’m assuming Copper of some sort to be my best bet for both Ich or Velvet? What’s my best and 2nd best option?

Ive read wrasse are trickier to treat with Copper but there’s been improvements with the Hanna? I separated them in case I need to treat differently or in a different level of copper.

What about the Mandarin? How to QT with no natural food source? This one does eat LRS, Mysis and Pellets but.....

How would you split these fish among the 3 tanks available? I will barely have room to do this as is so additional tanks aren’t really an option.

Monday will be spent getting tanks ready and getting a hold of whatever else I need.

Thanks in Advance!

@HotRocks @ngoodermuth

Just in case you have not thought of it yet, be sure to get the extra package of Regents for the Hanna Checker because what comes with the Checker will not be enough.

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have it down to a science now, we’ve quarantined hundreds of fish. Unfortunately I’m betting on velvet— but severe ich is immensely fatal as well. Waiting us not your friend, 24 hours is a death sentence for many fish, unfortunately, during bad outbreaks...
Out of curiosity what makes you say that? The fish I suspect to have brought it in or something else?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity what makes you say that? The fish I suspect to have brought it in or something else?
Experience, waiting to treat fish hasn’t ended well by the time fish are symptomatic, historically. That and how common velvet is these days :(

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with putting the bigger fish and all of the wrasses together in the 40g. I think if you separate the wrasses, you could run into some aggression putting them back together afterwards. Plus, if you do run into aggression in the 40, it will be easy to “separate” them if needed.

I’d put most of the remaining fish together in the next tank, and keep maybe just the mandarin alone in his own tank. You don’t want much, if any, competition for food with that guy. And he will need CP rather than copper, as others have mentioned.

When I had to fallow my tank, my mandarin got a tank to herself packed with live rock (as much as I could fit) and seeded with 2-3 bottles of pods. I also used nutrimar ova to supplement, but if yours eats whatever frozen you feed that is good too. I kept mine med-free until the last two weeks of my fallow period, then pulled the rock and treated with CP for the last 14 days before transferring right to my DT.

Risky, but I didn’t trust putting her in another QT after not really eating during the CP. For me, it worked out.

Everyone else on your list (including the wrasses) should be ok with copper. When I had to treat fairy wrasses with velvet (used cupramine)... since they are sensitive, on day one I brought to .2 (equivalent to 1.0 with chelated) second day to the absolute minimum therapeutic .35 (1.5 chelated, I believe) and then took two more days to get to .5 (1.75 chelated). They all handled this well.

If you suspect velvet, highly recommend a rally bath prior to transfer to QT (minus the mandarin). May help reduce the risk of infection.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats good to hear. Thank you @ngoodermuth

1st shots. Tangs showing the worst which is no surprise.

283F0A30-3CB4-47B2-9929-47958CD7EDF8.jpeg

346662C5-F9CF-49A3-BA17-B4E5CA090C18.jpeg

C51D0CF1-526E-471D-888E-F1DA167E2EC2.jpeg

5B2DFE4E-36ED-4252-B44B-C17F24A5C0C5.jpeg

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Working with what you have now, I’d give those tangs a freshwater dip and a bath in MB today... to get them some relief fast. They might not make it until tomorrow waiting for copper otherwise...

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my next question is where is my effort best spent right now? Since I will not have the Copper test kit until tomorrow sometime I'll focus on getting the hospital tanks running now then work up a FW and MB dip for the tangs or should I get the dips done first even though Ive nowhere to put them afterward?

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my next question is where is my effort best spent right now? Since I will not have the Copper test kit until tomorrow sometime I'll focus on getting the hospital tanks running now then work up a FW and MB dip for the tangs or should I get the dips done first even though Ive nowhere to put them afterward?

There would be little benefit if putting them right back into the infected tank after... so I would get the QT running first and then do the dips/bath prior to transfer.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%

Back