Got a Plague Need Guidance

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should i mix the QT’s to match the display they’re coming from or go to a lower SG?

Same question as it relates to The MB bath... match display or go lower?

How long to aerate the MB bath before I can bathe?
I agree with the velvet diagnosis, and with your description and timeline I figured that was the case unfortunately.

Best thing to do is just match salinity for all baths and QTs to DT.

5 min FW Dip for each fish. Then either 30 min baths in MB or 90 min baths in rally.

Aerate both FW dip and Baths the entire time fish are present and for a few minutes prior to.

Do you have copper on hand yet? I would start off with all QT's predosed at 1.0-1.25ppm Copper power. You don't need the tester to do that it is fairly easy to do if you have a syringe to dose. The only risk without the tester is that there is absorption occurring and at this point it is just better to get them into some copper.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/ratios-for-dosing-copper-power.385871/

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Got it. No copper yet. I wanted to get salt water mixing before taking the longer ride to the LFS.

Do I need fresh RODI for each FW dip or does that even matter?

Can I do more than 1 fish per MB bath or is that too much due the extra oxygen needs?

Mixing salt and headed to get the copper.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Got it. No copper yet. I wanted to get salt water mixing before taking the longer ride to the LFS.

Do I need fresh RODI for each FW dip or does that even matter?

Can I do more than 1 fish per MB bath or is that too much due the extra oxygen needs?

Mixing salt and headed to get the copper.

Hm, I’ve never needed to re-use a fw dip, but I think fresh RODI for every other fish would be ok... it just needs to get back up to temp and aerate each time you change it out.

I’ve done up to three fish in a bath (5g bucket) at a time, just make sure to aerate for at least 20 mins prior and the entire time during the bath.

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Im just looking to be as efficient and as quick as possible. Making/mixing water as fast as I can on top of the trips for supplies so every little bit helps.

The fish all seem to be acting pretty normal as far as I can tell. Im scarfing down food as I type and im out the door.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Im just looking to be as efficient and as quick as possible. Making/mixing water as fast as I can on top of the trips for supplies so every little bit helps.

The fish all seem to be acting pretty normal as far as I can tell. Im scarfing down food as I type and im out the door.
I have dipped several fish on inbound shipments with the same RODI using heat and air in a 5g bucket.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could only get ahold of Curpamine locally. Can order Copper Power but figure this is better than nothing for today.

Heading home.
Good luck man, hope you can save them :(

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could only get ahold of Curpamine locally. Can order Copper Power but figure this is better than nothing for today.

Heading home.
I've used cupramine for years... never have issues beyond sometimes having to lower it a bit if a fish seems to have trouble adjusting. .35 is the min therapeutic level... although some say it doesn't actually kill ich until it's over .4, it will definitely suppress them at .35. So, if you can at least get it there fairly quickly(within 48 hours), you can take a little more time bringing it the rest of the way to .5

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Finally making some headway. Was trying to do too many things at once and getting nowhere fast. If I told you how many times I tripped over the rodi line coming out the bathroom you’d accuse me of being hammered (which Im not ruling out yet) ;Blackeye

Had to scale back my goals for today a little or I wasn’t getting anything accomplished. Got the 18g ready for fish and will attempt to get the Tangs in first. If that goes well I will try to get a couple more in as well.

2nd tank should be ready for morning and aside from getting a handful of corals out of the 40 I still need to work on that.

For the MB dip am I understanding this right? I want 5 teaspoons to 3g of water for a 50ppm dip?

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im done. Beyond frustrated and any patience i had is gone. All im doing at this point is stressing them out more and ticking myself off.

Caught the yellow tang, dipped and have it in a clean tank.

Tomorrow with a calmer head ill tear the rock down and get the rest. Don't have it in me to start into it tonight. It is what it is at this point.

NinnJinn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im done. Beyond frustrated and any patience i had is gone. All im doing at this point is stressing them out more and ticking myself off.

Tomorrow with a calmer head ill tear the rock down and get the rest. Don't have it in me to start into it tonight. It is what it is at this point.

While I have never dealt with velvet, I totally understand where you're coming from you just get totally stressed out and you can't think clearly anymore and you just start screwing everything up...

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’m sorry... it’s not fun. Just one step at a time, all you can do.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 19 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 167 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.6%
Back