Got all the gear and did all the research but its not enough

sixline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear. I can't offer too much advice, but will be following this thread because I have an eerily similar problem with my tank. It's been running for ages, but can't keep corals alive. Currently, my only parameters that seem off are Alk a bit low, Ca a bit high and Iodine a bit low. I am slowly adding baking soda starting tomorrow morning, and monitoring Ca and Alk. Once I get Alk up to a reasonable level, I'll try adding a coral again for the hundredth time.

Best of luck!

OP
OP
M

MoH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright BRB going to test everything I can

5F2CB8D0-D278-410E-BD2F-576E1ECDE3FF.jpeg

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I concur. The salinity probe on the Apex simply cannot be relied on. While many would say that 6.7-7.5 is normal sea level alkalinity, corals will do MUCH better in the 8-10 dKH range. Calcium seems incredibly high. I would imagine this by itself would cause major issues. My bet is the Trident reading is off.

Pro tip - Hanna calcium Checker is not reliable. Use Red Sea or Salifert.

Do you use RODI for top off /water changes?

How are you dosing calcium and alkalinity?

OP
OP
M

MoH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I concur. The salinity probe on the Apex simply cannot be relied on. While many would say that 6.7-7.5 is normal sea level alkalinity, corals will do MUCH better in the 8-10 dKH range. Calcium seems incredibly high. I would imagine this by itself would cause major issues. My bet is the Trident reading is off.

Pro tip - Hanna calcium Checker is not reliable. Use Red Sea or Salifert.

Do you use RODI for top off /water changes?

How are you dosing calcium and alkalinity?

I use a rodi system 4 stage and I store my water in brute bin.

I got a completely different reading of calcium on Hannah check vs the trident. I unfortunately do not have Red Sea test kit for ca

C3FEA4FD-1D5D-4EF7-95DE-7DBA1184A30C.jpeg 9F29AB65-FB2D-4838-B44A-1B37E11E93A3.jpeg

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use a rodi system 4 stage and I store my water in brute bin.

I got a completely different reading of calcium on Hannah check vs the trident. I unfortunately do not have Red Sea test kit for ca

C3FEA4FD-1D5D-4EF7-95DE-7DBA1184A30C.jpeg 9F29AB65-FB2D-4838-B44A-1B37E11E93A3.jpeg

That's fine, but I still wouldnt trust the Hanna calcium reading one bit. A Salifert kit is ~ $15 and will give you a result that you can have faith in.

Very curious to know your Hanna Alk and PO4 reading (Hanna is excellent for these).

OP
OP
M

MoH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's fine, but I still wouldnt trust the Hanna calcium reading one bit. A Salifert kit is ~ $15 and will give you a result that you can have faith in.

Very curious to know your Hanna Alk and PO4 reading (Hanna is excellent for these).

Running that now

Jonify

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the Hanna checkers, I've noticed that if you use the smallest syringe and try to eyeball that 0.1 ml of sample tank water, numbers will be way off; but if you use the spring-loaded syringe (and attach the fine adjustment tube to the end), push it down to the first stop, then dip it into the tank sample water, and then let go, you'll have the exact amount you need and results will be spot-on. With the other syringes, you'll want to make sure the bottom of the black rubber plunger (not the actual water/or reagent line) is at the line you want. The way those syringes work accounts for extra space and vacuumed air in the tip and top, so the bottom of the black plunger is where you want to measure.

OP
OP
M

MoH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
135ppm or 7.56 Dkh trident was showing much less

23A27522-9F68-4DC4-ADF4-CFA2FF4082CD.jpeg

OP
OP
M

MoH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it’s safe to say that following the readings of the trident are leading me towards my failures. I will try recalibrating the trident again but very disappointed in what I’m seeing so far

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 21 17.4%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 51 42.1%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 16 13.2%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 27 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 5.0%
Back