Got LifeReef ??? Show us your LifeReef Sumps, Skimmers, and Anything else you may have by LifeReef.

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i didnt like the varios 6s as much so i ordered a fluval sp4. Will see how that is compare to the varios as its a ac and pressure pump compare to dc pump.
What didn't you like about the varios6? Mine seems just fine

scuzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What didn't you like about the varios6? Mine seems just fine

Maybe it's me I'm just not seeing as much bubbles as it was with my bubble King. Heard it just runs better with a pressure rated pump. So giving the AC pump a try.

scuzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the sp4 fluval didnt perform as well as the varios6. Just ordered a dcp10000 and see if its better.

If the dcp10000 is right ill eventually put a red dragon 100w on this bad boy.

MJNTWise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Protein Skimmer Setup - 1.jpg

My 36" external just waiting to the DT to show up so it can get hooked up.
I might be wrong....But the way you have it set up, it might not work...the drain is too high....the way you have it set up the water level will be the same height as the 90....Just my thoughts...
Matt

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the sp4 fluval didnt perform as well as the varios6. Just ordered a dcp10000 and see if its better.

If the dcp10000 is right ill eventually put a red dragon 100w on this bad boy.
dang. A red dragon. Why not a varios8?

Don Lidtke

Some Old Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might be wrong....But the way you have it set up, it might not work...the drain is too high....the way you have it set up the water level will be the same height as the 90....Just my thoughts...
Matt

Hmm... that’s a good point and if so I am screwed because the skimmer won’t fit in the sump area.

I was thinking this is a pressure feed system, for some odd reason, so the return is pushing the water out but you’re right it’s gravity feed. Good grief, now what are my options?

Last edited:

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm... that’s a good point and if so I am screwed because the skimmer won’t fit in the sump area.

I was thinking this is a pressure feed system, for some odd reason, so the return is pushing the water out but you’re right it’s gravity feed. Good grief, now what are my options?
well, there are two options.

first is to raise the skimmer (and quite a ways) as the return should be slightly underwater, but not much more than that. Well, at least on my "normal" skimmer. I don't know what the requirements are on that beast.

Second option is to plumb the output into a pump and pump the return back. You'd need to tune it with the gate valve, but I'm guessing you'd have to tune it even more with a DC pump. The other option is a basin of some sort that the skimmer empties into and then you pump back from that. Would be a good place to put a fuge maybe? You'd need a float sensor at the top to make sure it'd alarm you if the pump failed and the fuge/basin filled up.

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And by slightly underwater, I assume you know what i mean - the return should be more or less a gravity return.

Don Lidtke

Some Old Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, there are two options.

first is to raise the skimmer (and quite a ways) as the return should be slightly underwater, but not much more than that. Well, at least on my "normal" skimmer. I don't know what the requirements are on that beast.

Second option is to plumb the output into a pump and pump the return back. You'd need to tune it with the gate valve, but I'm guessing you'd have to tune it even more with a DC pump. The other option is a basin of some sort that the skimmer empties into and then you pump back from that. Would be a good place to put a fuge maybe? You'd need a float sensor at the top to make sure it'd alarm you if the pump failed and the fuge/basin filled up.

My first thought was to add a return pump but the balance of not pulling too much water out could be tricky.

The idea of a basin sounds interesting, a 5/10 gallon aquarium would work. That would solve one of my concerns with cup overflows so I am going to look into that.

I really appreciate you guys pointing this out!

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can adjust the water height in the skimmer with the gate valve, I'm running mine in about 8 inches of water and with a DCP 8000 and my gate valve is most of the way closed. My exit is at the water line. Try running it as is with a bucket or something first to see if it'll work.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back