Got LifeReef ??? Show us your LifeReef Sumps, Skimmers, and Anything else you may have by LifeReef.

scuzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking a red dragon pressure rated 100w cause I had great reliability with those. I'm not sure how the varios reliability since it's a Chinese DC.

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty sure the varios reliability is on par with most, if not better. I personally have 5 of them, 4 6's and a 4 and they run like clockwork. But then again, for 900 bucks, the 100w red dragon should work well. I'd just rather buy 3 (or more) varios 6 (or 8) as it's just a skimmer. We're not talking about a return pump here.

pwilliaml

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would strongly consider building a shelf that your skimmer could sit up on so that the drain line only goes down from where it exits, otherwise it's just going to overflow your skimmer cup constantly as the drain line height determines how high the bubble level is in the skimmer with the drain valve wide open. Trying to add a pump to the outlet is a balancing act you don't want to play. Just risking overflow. Talk to Jeff at Lifereef, [email protected] he will tell you straight up what will work and what won't. He answers emails fast too. Stands behind his products, even if you didn't buy them directly from him. I bought my skimmer from someone on here and emailed Jeff about it and he answered same day, gave me the instruction manual and told me everything I needed to do to get it running at 100%. Good luck.

Don Lidtke

Some Old Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would strongly consider building a shelf that your skimmer could sit up on so that the drain line only goes down from where it exits, otherwise it's just going to overflow your skimmer cup constantly as the drain line height determines how high the bubble level is in the skimmer with the drain valve wide open. Trying to add a pump to the outlet is a balancing act you don't want to play. Just risking overflow. Talk to Jeff at Lifereef, [email protected] he will tell you straight up what will work and what won't. He answers emails fast too. Stands behind his products, even if you didn't buy them directly from him. I bought my skimmer from someone on here and emailed Jeff about it and he answered same day, gave me the instruction manual and told me everything I needed to do to get it running at 100%. Good luck.

After sleeping on this and looking at the space I have available, a stand will work so I will go ahead and built a stand. It does create more head distance but I can always go with a larger pump if needed.

Last edited:

scuzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So tried a dcp10000 and it's definitely pushing more bubbles. I like it. Night run this for a bit to see how it lasts. My last herbal lasted 2 years.

pwilliaml

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got an old Waveline DC-6000 pump on my Lifereef skimmer right now, but I want to switch it for something else as I believe my pump randomly changes it's speed / flow occasionally which affects the water level in the skimmer or overflows it. Anyone else had this issue with a DC pump? My Varios-6 seems to have no issue maintaining a constant speed. I really want to try the new Sicce Syncra ADV 5.5 pump when it finally becomes available as it's low power and pushes a ton of water.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re waiting for the ADV 5.5 to come out, you might as well get the ADV 7 (1900 gph) which is already available. It gives you more flow for 55 watts as opposed to the 50 watts that the ADV 5.5 uses. Remember, Jeff uses a Mag 18 on his 24” Lifereef and @d2mini uses a Fluval SP4 (1822 gph) on his.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So tried a dcp10000 and it's definitely pushing more bubbles. I like it. Night run this for a bit to see how it lasts. My last herbal lasted 2 years.

I run the same pump on my Lifereef for about a year now and it’s been perfect. I run it on 95% power

pwilliaml

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re waiting for the ADV 5.5 to come out, you might as well get the ADV 7 (1900 gph) which is already available. It gives you more flow for 55 watts as opposed to the 50 watts that the ADV 5.5 uses. Remember, Jeff uses a Mag 18 on his 24” Lifereef and @d2mini uses a Fluval SP4 (1822 gph) on his.
I did not know that. Thanks Water Dog, I'll check out the ADV 7 then. Anyone know of any reviews on these?

cono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just restarted my 180 gallon..there is nothing in it besides sand and rock
...I have Jeff's 24 skimmer , the only thing I did was plumb the s1 to it ....but just wanted to ask ,there isnt that many bubbles being produced.....cant it be because there is no bio load in the tank or can it be the pump

cono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubbles are in the body but not a lot as it should be
39ec73b7916b90efa1f6ff9da99699f0.jpg

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that looks a little thin. Do you have access to a stronger pump? I ditched the mag 7 and went with a DCP 8000 and saw a big difference. Im not familiar with the SP 1.

cono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did check salinity ...the only thing I can think it is ...is that I didnt calibrate the pump I just plugged and plumped it and i think that there is not enough flow

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check your venturi and see if there is anything blocking your pump intake, 1400 GPH should be plenty.

scuzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I replaced my varios6 with a dcp 10000 and it's pushing some mad bubbles. I notice anything weaker won't work to well.

scuzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also got a mazzei Venturi along with the regular. Was wondering if it's worth the conversion to the mazzei Venturi. If I go mazzei I will need to replumb to get it fit right in my sump skimmer compartment.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 29.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back