Got My First ICP..Advise PLease

BaliReefBox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi well I got my first ICP done and to say the least it was a saga. I got the kit mailed from Australia but couldnt easily get it back due to Oz bio security regulations so it went to Germany. The reason I wanted a test was I cant keep an SPS alive to save myself. All my parameters are rock solid and stable (the ones I can test for) but the SPS just keep on dying. Can I please get some advise what I should dose to get the low ones up and how do I get rid of Silicon? Lithium is very low also.. I need to up Flourid, Strontium, Lithium, Molybdenm, Iodine. I also need to lower Barium and Silicon... Appreciate the guidance.

Would these parameters make SPS not do well?

I use Aquaforest "sea salt" and dose their Dkh buffer, Calcium and MAg along with their A,B,C also..

Attachments

• Reef 90 - July 26, 2023 (B-0NLGz1).pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 50

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most things look good to me.

Let's back up and discuss what is useful and what is not.

low lithium is not ever a reason to dose it. it has no known biological need in any organism.

Silicon is fine, unless you have problematic levels of diatoms. It is not a coral problem.

I do not believe strontium is needed by corals, but it is fine to dose it up to bnatural levels if you want to experiment.

You might benefit from a trace element supplement, but usually trace elements are not why corals die. Tropic Marin A and K is a fine one to experiment with.

I do not think you will see any change from fluoride, but again dosing it to see up is a fine plan.

Barium is very low toxicity and I'd ignore it.

OP
OP
BaliReefBox

BaliReefBox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most things look good to me.

Let's back up and discuss what is useful and what is not.

low lithium is not ever a reason to dose it. it has no known biological need in any organism.

Silicon is fine, unless you have problematic levels of diatoms. It is not a coral problem.

I do not believe strontium is needed by corals, but it is fine to dose it up to bnatural levels if you want to experiment.

You might benefit from a trace element supplement, but usually trace elements are not why corals die. Tropic Marin A and K is a fine one to experiment with.

I do not think you will see any change from fluoride, but again dosing it to see up is a fine plan.

Barium is very low toxicity and I'd ignore it.
thank you randy for taking the time to look at the results. After posting I conferred with doctor goggle and he confirms your diagnosis. I am my wits end why the sps keep dying. I bought a par meter apogee 510 because i thought it wasnt enough light but after checking the tanks the frags come from i match the par and the tips keep browning off and over a few weeks they die. I had higher PO4 but the locals kept telling me to lower them so I did but still dying... maybe I be a zoa lps tank...bugger

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you randy for taking the time to look at the results. After posting I conferred with doctor goggle and he confirms your diagnosis. I am my wits end why the sps keep dying. I bought a par meter apogee 510 because i thought it wasnt enough light but after checking the tanks the frags come from i match the par and the tips keep browning off and over a few weeks they die. I had higher PO4 but the locals kept telling me to lower them so I did but still dying... maybe I be a zoa lps tank...bugger
Flow, light, low nutrients is key to keeping Sps… everyone says stable, stable, stable.. blah! Just keep it in range and it’s fine! Stable is great but it’s almost impossible without 24 hour attention to your tank.

OP
OP
BaliReefBox

BaliReefBox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flow, light, low nutrients is key to keeping Sps… everyone says stable, stable, stable.. blah! Just keep it in range and it’s fine! Stable is great but it’s almost impossible without 24 hour attention to your tank.
I have an abundance of flow in the tank, my PAR is 250-350 where I keep the sps. ( i measure par where the frags come out of and match them) My parameters dont and I mean dont change more than a knats whisker for the last 3 months, they are rock solid. I was testing everyday for 4 weeks now I have backed it off to twice weekly now and I get the same. Alk 8.0 Ca 440 Mg 1335 NO3 5-10 ( color matching is not my strong oint) SG 1.025. I am lost... i thought i found the smoking gun whrn a salt mixing pump was putting metal filings into the tank. The icp squashed that theory...
all i can say luckily coral is cheap here...

OP
OP
BaliReefBox

BaliReefBox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
alot are happy with good pe. then over a short period they start getting brown tips, then they recede and algae, light blow off stuff cover the skel then they die. Initially I was buying wild colonies but since trying to read more I have focused on buying from other ppls tanks. The idea was that they were more settled into tank life.

OP
OP
BaliReefBox

BaliReefBox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my tank is 1 year old, started with real straight from the ocean live rock and caribee special grade sand. Tank is 90x45x45 with a sump of approx 60x45x 35. Lights atm are 2 maxspect jump mj-165 blues ( I am waiting on delivery noopsyche t5 hybrid.) flow is Jebao scp-120 gyre and 2 mlw -30 wave makers. Along with a 6000LPH return. PAR ranges from 450ish surface to 150 on the sand( 80%max). I have the t5 coming as I dont like the shadows I am getting.
Once the coral start shedding flesh i get it out...

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my tank is 1 year old, started with real straight from the ocean live rock and caribee special grade sand. Tank is 90x45x45 with a sump of approx 60x45x 35. Lights atm are 2 maxspect jump mj-165 blues ( I am waiting on delivery noopsyche t5 hybrid.) flow is Jebao scp-120 gyre and 2 mlw -30 wave makers. Along with a 6000LPH return. PAR ranges from 450ish surface to 150 on the sand( 80%max). I have the t5 coming as I dont like the shadows I am getting.
Once the coral start shedding flesh i get it out...
Do you have coralline growth?
It may be bacterial. If it was my system I would run KZ flatworm stop. It helps strenthen corals from my past experience. I did not use it for flatworms.
You will like the NP K7 V3. I run one on my 20g nano. They are copies of the gen 4 radion and are nice leds for the price.
20g 5 months old.
20230720_150009.jpg

OP
OP
BaliReefBox

BaliReefBox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have oddles of coraline algae, its everywhere. Yeah I hope I like the hybrid, I am planning on a combo of ati b+ x 2, 1 actenic and a C+..if its to white I will try 2 b+ and 2 actenic...

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have oddles of coraline algae, its everywhere. Yeah I hope I like the hybrid, I am planning on a combo of ati b+ x 2, 1 actenic and a C+..if its to white I will try 2 b+ and 2 actenic...
I ran 4b+ 4b+ on my old 120. Its a very white look. Im a old halide guy so I like a whiter look.
Honestly I dont think you need T5's with the K7 from what I have seen.
I now prefer the led bars over T5's and will never go back as they are that good, imo.
Pics?
Run the KZ FS for 6 months as it cant hurt.

Also I love wild mini colonies and have several.
You do dip them right?
After many years I use Potassium chloride 3grams per liter and 5 min dip.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah you most def don’t wanna try wild or maricultured colonies they’re very temprental and die a lot! Survival rates are low even with the top notch guys in the hobby.. get some frags from people like you’re doing and grow them out and you’ll have better luck.. have you ever checked for pests? Putting maricultured pieces in your tank runs the risk of acro eating flatworms, red bugs, black bugs etc.. you gotta dip the crap out of them and keep them in quarantine till you know they’re all clean and good.

OP
OP
BaliReefBox

BaliReefBox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will like the NP K7 V3. I run one on my 20g nano.
I'm not running these lights I am running the maxspect jumps MJ-L165. These are only 65w compared to the K7 which are 140w by memory. I am adding a Noopysche T5 hybrib. I have read that browning tips is a possible cause of lack of par. Now even though my par meter reading are adequate maybe my spectrum is wrong. I have adopted a spectrum off of Insta from a fellow reefer. Once the T5 arrive i will reload with SPS and see how the fair...

you gotta dip the crap out of them
I always dip them in coral rx for 10minutes and give them a good looking over under a magnifying glass. all I see to find are crabs. Fingers crossed on the next round. At least now I have confirmation my water is ok, well mostly

Also THANKS for the assistance with this, I really appreciate it

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back