Got saltwater from my LFS. questions.

Badilac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They didn't patent that nozzle I can guarantee. That is a random flow generator that is made by Vivid. Sounds like they are telling some stories. Again I wouldn't use that water if it was the last water on earth to setup my fish tank.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you. and to anyone else responding on my page.
i have the aquatic life ro+di50GPD
also the RedSea 90LED

i also think i have the patience for a cycle,but like most people commenting on this post the use of tank water from my LFS is throwing me off what would be a normal cycle.

to be fair they may have just been incompetent rather than trying to rip you off, either way I would stay away from them, at least until you can weed out their terrible advice.
If my tank, I would empty and start again, by the sounds of it you haven’t added the rock yet so the cycle hasn’t really started.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to add, their water might have copper in it too as it’s used to treat fish, a lot of LFS add copper to their tanks, copper and corals don’t mix, if you plan on having corals in the tank and the water has copper in it, it will almost certainly have a major affect on whether the corals live or die, and once copper is in a tank it’s very hard to remove, the last thing you want to do is add the rock now, I would test for copper, if it’s present come back on here and get advice, either way I would still empty the tank, clean and start again but make sure to test for copper first.

OP
OP
fisherc92

fisherc92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to add, their water might have copper in it too as it’s used to treat fish, a lot of LFS add copper to their tanks, copper and corals don’t mix, if you plan on having corals in the tank and the water has copper in it, it will almost certainly have a major affect on whether the corals live or die, and once copper is in a tank it’s very hard to remove, the last thing you want to do is add the rock now, I would test for copper, if it’s present come back on here and get advice, either way I would still empty the tank, clean and start again but make sure to test for copper first.

thank you, i did add pictures above. also the tank did have coral in it as well (it was a display tank) which had coral and fish inside. i appreciate the knowledge. i do not have a copper test kit handy unfortunately. ill see where i can get one locally now.

OP
OP
fisherc92

fisherc92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They didn't patent that nozzle I can guarantee. That is a random flow generator that is made by Vivid. Sounds like they are telling some stories. Again I wouldn't use that water if it was the last water on earth to setup my fish tank.
appreciate the advice as i've noticed you've been monitoring the thread. nice find on the generator, as this is defiently whats on my tank (he drilled it himself)

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you, i did add pictures above. also the tank did have coral in it as well (it was a display tank) which had coral and fish inside. i appreciate the knowledge. i do not have a copper test kit handy unfortunately. ill see where i can get one locally now.

that’s good news, if the water came from a tank with fish and corals in then you can breathe a little easier now, chances are it hasn’t copper in, fish and the corals from LFS can run on two different systems, so the LFS can add copper for the fish without harming the corals.

OP
OP
fisherc92

fisherc92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
picture of the tank i found off their website that my water came out of.

20200728_160141.jpg

Last edited:

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again it’s not great adding LFS water BUT if that tank is run separately from the rest of the tanks in the shop, then the risk is greatly reduced, I still would never take used water from an LFS both for the reason it has very little bacteria in it for a cycle and the risks of disease, and it’s used so will have nitrates and phosphate in it, things you will be looking to remove not add to a new tank, so hopefully it’s a system separate from all the other tanks, if so it’s down to whether you want to take the risk or not, depends how confident you are, may be worth visiting and checking it out, ask a few questions but you run the risk of being overwhelmed with bad advice if the shop is a bit iffy, as I still believe a good LFS would never sell someone used tank water.

OP
OP
fisherc92

fisherc92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again it’s not great adding LFS water BUT if that tank is run separately from the rest of the tanks in the shop, then the risk is greatly reduced, I still would never take used water from an LFS both for the reason it has very little bacteria in it for a cycle and the risks of disease, and it’s used so will have nitrates and phosphate in it, things you will be looking to remove not add to a new tank, so hopefully it’s a system separate from all the other tanks, if so it’s down to whether you want to take the risk or not, depends how confident you are, may be worth visiting and checking it out, ask a few questions but you run the risk of being overwhelmed with bad advice if the shop is a bit iffy, as I still believe a good LFS would never sell someone used tank water.

every tank at his shop is ran separate for disease control etc. - including the rowed tanks. he was very proud of this setup and talked about how the other 2 local stores do not have that luxury. Funny thing is the owner of the shop followed me back to my place and set the whole tank up with me!! it wouldnt fit in my backseat so at closing time he came and help me set the whole tank up. He shimmied it, put the stand together,made sure the skimmer and heater were good and messed with the media. i bought us a pizza and we shot the **** for a little while. I have his cell phone number now and plan on goin in thursday for my aquascape hes custom making me. he said many times how he wants to help me do it right the first time and i can contact him with problems. this store has the best reviews near me and i could tell when i walked into the store it was more legit then the other 2 i visited prior. i have made a relationship with this shop and would like to go back, as long as their not dicking me.

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo, you’re gonna be okay with that water. If their DT is healthy then yours should be too. Personally, I chose the ‘management not eradication’ approach to reefing, which is why I don’t do a full qt. When I was young I tried to eradicate and it just left men exhausted and frustrated with my tanks. After I learned it was okay to have a little ich and aiptasia in my tanks my life got a lot easier. I do have one or two aiptasia in all of my tanks, a little nuisance algae here and there, and I know I have ich in my tank but the fish are unaffected and completely healthy. His tank should be fine as long as he maintains good conditions and water parameters. I do not suggest adding anything alive (corals, inverts, fish) until the water clears and tests for 0 ammonia. I would get some live rock and basic aquascape in there ASAP though so you get some beneficial nitrifying bacteria in there and reproducing

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
every tank at his shop is ran separate for disease control etc. - including the rowed tanks. he was very proud of this setup and talked about how the other 2 local stores do not have that luxury. Funny thing is the owner of the shop followed me back to my place and set the whole tank up with me!! it wouldnt fit in my backseat so at closing time he came and help me set the whole tank up. He shimmied it, put the stand together,made sure the skimmer and heater were good and messed with the media. i bought us a pizza and we shot the **** for a little while. I have his cell phone number now and plan on goin in thursday for my aquascape hes custom making me. he said many times how he wants to help me do it right the first time and i can contact him with problems. this store has the best reviews near me and i could tell when i walked into the store it was more legit then the other 2 i visited prior. i have made a relationship with this shop and would like to go back, as long as their not dicking me.

if you had started with that post you may have got a different response, either way I don’t understand the used water aspect of this, if he were to have given you some sand or rock to kick start your cycle then that makes sense, still a risk but makes more sense as there would be loads of bacteria in those, water has very little.
As you are so friendly with him I would ask his reasoning for this.

You can see from this thread that there are many answers to a question, take advice from as many people as you can, decide what you want to trust and go with that, the worst thing you can do is take advice from a limited source and go with that, it could be excellent advice or could be the worst advice, until you can decide yourself which it is likely to be, best to get as many opinions as you can.

OP
OP
fisherc92

fisherc92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you had started with that post you may have got a different response, either way I don’t understand the used water aspect of this, if he were to have given you some sand or rock to kick start your cycle then that makes sense, still a risk but makes more sense as there would be loads of bacteria in those, water has very little.
As you are so friendly with him I would ask his reasoning for this.

You can see from this thread that there are many answers to a question, take advice from as many people as you can, decide what you want to trust and go with that, the worst thing you can do is take advice from a limited source and go with that, it could be excellent advice or could be the worst advice, until you can decide yourself which it is likely to be, best to get as many opinions as you can.

thanks for all your responses today. sorry for being vague, i thought this was a "normal" thing that happens to start reef tanks. in the OP i asked what word he used for the water he gave me because they used it so fluently like it was a thing done every new build yaknow. im glad for the contrasting sides in a way its helped me take in alot of information and angles of doing things.

i hope i can come to you for questions i may have in the future. Like for instance when i put this 40lb or so aquascape in my FULL tank (i havent topped off for evaporation yet) will i be getting overflow? im feeling i need to remove water first?

OP
OP
fisherc92

fisherc92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo, you’re gonna be okay with that water. If their DT is healthy then yours should be too. Personally, I chose the ‘management not eradication’ approach to reefing, which is why I don’t do a full qt. When I was young I tried to eradicate and it just left men exhausted and frustrated with my tanks. After I learned it was okay to have a little ich and aiptasia in my tanks my life got a lot easier. I do have one or two aiptasia in all of my tanks, a little nuisance algae here and there, and I know I have ich in my tank but the fish are unaffected and completely healthy. His tank should be fine as long as he maintains good conditions and water parameters. I do not suggest adding anything alive (corals, inverts, fish) until the water clears and tests for 0 ammonia. I would get some live rock and basic aquascape in there ASAP though so you get some beneficial nitrifying bacteria in there and reproducing

appreciate that! when you first start a reef tank the idea of QTing a coral or fish is far out of your realm of thoughts i feel like... its something ive started to pay attention to morte in the last couple weeks.

As far as the water i just did my first tests
PH- 8
Ammonia - 0
no2 - 0
no3 - 0

water is great, no livestock or rock yet though.i posted pictures and those will stand true till tomrrow. im gonna go get my aquascape, hes piecing it together for me.

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
appreciate that! when you first start a reef tank the idea of QTing a coral or fish is far out of your realm of thoughts i feel like... its something ive started to pay attention to morte in the last couple weeks.

PH- 8
Ammonia - 0
no2 - 0
no3 - 0

water is great, no livestock or rock yet though.i posted pictures and those will stand true till tomrrow. im gonna go get my aquascape, hes piecing it together for me.
Aquascape and adding live rock will add some stuff to your perams. Possibly a little ammonia from live rock die off but that’s okay. Should clear up in a week or less especially adding nitrifying bacteria. I wouldn’t add a cheap clown just to test it out, add a clown you like and would want to keep down the line. It makes you try a little harder and you won’t have to deal with rehoming it later

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PH- 8
Ammonia - 0
no2 - 0
no3 - 0

As for removing water or topping off when adding aquascape. I'd Test salinity first, if higher than 35 ppt add fresh rodi until it reads 35 ppt then remove some to a clean bucket or 2 then add aquascape, then put your water back in until it's back to normal level.

neiltus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to add, their water might have copper in it too as it’s used to treat fish, a lot of LFS add copper to their tanks.

This....

...now, giving them the benefit of the doubt, most fish stores have an isolated system or mixed reef....

....I still would not do it.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 80 44.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 82 46.1%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.0%
Back