got shot with paly juice in the shoulder and arm area. OMG

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ikr...... all research says DEATHHHHHHHH. not alot of info out there about non lethal zoas or palys... dont believe the propaganda.

Here's the poop on Palys and Zoas....know what you have and simply respect that and you'll be fine. I learned my lesson the hard way back when I was a nob. So now I know what to do, and it's not an issue. If I'm handling, I'm wearing gloves. If I'm fragging, I'll include safety glasses or full face safety guard along with the gloves. I haven't had an issue since.

Julian Sprung

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dear David, It's good that you draw attention to this subject, but I have to give you the good news that the polyp that spit at you is not Palythoa. That is a Zoanthus sp. There is a Palythoa sp. that has the same basic coloring as that one, but I can see by the shape of the blunt-tipped tentacles that this is a Zoanthus sp. Zoanthus spp. are related to Palythoa spp., but are much less toxic. Palythoa are more slimy than Zoanthus, and will exude a clear mucus/slime when lifted out of the water. That slime contains the toxin. Zoanthus spp. do not exude slime like that. But they can spit, as you've seen. Looks like you'll be fine, Julian

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also at julian Sprung thanks a bunch of that info. may i ask are you a marnie bio or something?
Palythoa are more slimy than Zoanthus, and will exude a clear mucus/slime when lifted out of the water. That slime contains the toxin. Zoanthus spp. do not exude slime like that. But they can spit, as you've seen. Looks like you'll be fine, Julian

a i was looking at this small (Zoanthus spp) before i got spit on i looked for slime and did not see any. Great news here, im going to grab a beer and google this.. as for saling them. the wife may not understand yet all we know was paly are death just waiting for a host. lol i will talk to her.

Willy315

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
99df64aef27d613f43c61f015e06b5c2.jpg

These are some of the nasty ones. (Circled in red). I had so many in my tank that while just doing a water change I had to wear a dust mask or I got respiratory issues. I have since removed them all from that tank and in the process of removing them from my other tank. They are no joke!

Shirley Weller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also at julian Sprung thanks a bunch of that info. may i ask are you a marnie bio or something?

a i was looking at this small (Zoanthus spp) before i got spit on i looked for slime and did not see any. Great news here, im going to grab a beer and google this.. as for saling them. the wife may not understand yet all we know was paly are death just waiting for a host. lol i will talk to her.

FYI
Julian Sprung is an American writer on marine aquarium fishkeeping.
Sprung has authored articles in aquarium hobby publications such as Freshwater And Marine Aquarium, Seascope, Advanced Aquarist Online, Aquarium Frontiers, Marine and Reef Aquarium USA, Practical Fishkeeping, Tropical Fish Hobbyist, and Coral. Sprung is one of the authors of The Reef Aquarium 3-volume book series (self-published), and is a frequent lecturer at reef aquarium hobby conventions and gatherings.
In 1991 Sprung, with fellow marine aquarium enthusiast Daniel Ramirez, co-founded the company Two Little Fishies, Inc., a manufacturer of marine aquarium supplements, media, and accessories.

justmee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
99df64aef27d613f43c61f015e06b5c2.jpg

These are some of the nasty ones. (Circled in red). I had so many in my tank that while just doing a water change I had to wear a dust mask or I got respiratory issues. I have since removed them all from that tank and in the process of removing them from my other tank. They are no joke!

I actually got stung by one of the polys that you circled on the bottom, didn’t break skin though but felt a small sting, and nothing happened.

justmee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just seeing this now. If it had gotten you, the contact point would be welts by now. When I've been hit, within a couple hours I had welts at the contact points, and a feeling of malaise. The following day I didn't even get out of bed. The next day after that, I was back to feeling normal but still with the welt marks on my hands.

Did you consult or take any medication for your welts?

justmee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just seeing this now. If it had gotten you, the contact point would be welts by now. When I've been hit, within a couple hours I had welts at the contact points, and a feeling of malaise. The following day I didn't even get out of bed. The next day after that, I was back to feeling normal but still with the welt marks on my hands.

@redfishbluefish, please let me know how you dealt with your welts, did you consult a doctor and/or use any medications? Thanks!

135zman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rub the area with a piece of fire coral and you will forget all about the palytoxin anxiety. Go to ER if you are still worried.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 142 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back