Got some dosing pumps for Christmas!

  • Thread starter Thread starter BriDroid
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

BriDroid

I glue animals to rocks.
View Badges
Joined
Aug 2, 2024
Messages
1,699
Reaction score
2,303
Location
Prosper, TX
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up some Sentia dosing pumps for myself for Christmas. I'm looking forward to automating my AFR and ammonium bicarbonate.

Question, do I need to dose the AFR under the water line? I'm concerned that it may crystalize if above the water. If I do dose under the water, do I need to install a check valve, or will the nature of the pump stop anything from siphoning? If I do need a check valve, is anyone aware of one that is small enough to fit that 2mm ID tubing?

IMG_1509.jpeg
 
Doser is the highest
Dosing output is lower
Dosing container is lower than output line (you can see the container on the bottom right…All 4 Reef container)

IMG_8770.jpeg
 
or will the nature of the pump stop anything from siphoning?
How many rollers are in the dosing head? If 3 there should be no siphoning, if 2 rollers there is minimum chance of siphoning.
The pumps I use all have 3 rollers:
1735495588472.jpeg


When I used AFR I had the end of the line submerged and no check valve. I didn’t want to introduce additional failure point.

Good luck,
 
How many rollers are in the dosing head? If 3 there should be no siphoning, if 2 rollers there is minimum chance of siphoning.
The pumps I use all have 3 rollers:
1735495588472.jpeg


When I used AFR I had the end of the line submerged and no check valve. I didn’t want to introduce additional failure point.

Good luck,
It has 3 like the one you posted. Thanks!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 4.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 11 24.4%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 12 26.7%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 7 15.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 4.4%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 17.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 2 4.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new