Got this email today....

Speg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm being blamed for causing deaths. Please read the email and tell me your thoughts! I don't have any more information available than what's in the email so far.

Well, I haven't got back to you due to an alarming issue. I have had my tank for over 2 years with a dozen and 1/2 fish with some 5 year old corals; it has been detected/concluded that some of the corals we received from you may have some major nitrate issues. It has killed all but 3 fish and wiped out most of my corals. I can't quite pin it on your frags/disks (seem the most likely candidate) but it had been narrowed down. After 4 water changes of 25%, we have started to bring it to 20ppm. We can't explain it...yet, but I have several time coral breeding folks checking it out. With this being said - have you ever a problem with those disks or the corals? Like I mentioned to you, I never saw them open and was wondering if we had a lot of the water you sent spiked in nitrates? I never dumped your water in, but didn't test it for hi levels of toxicity. So, I know you may deny it, but my fish store manager comes twice a week to maintain it....thoughts?

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds to me like someone isnt doing their water cghanges or didnt pull a fish out when it died and that is what has caused the spike, so to avoid lame they are trying to blame you speg. that is terrible. Sorry bro.

FishLipz

Cheap and Easy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty much sounds like you're getting blamed. Seems kinda bold for someone to try to pin that much on a few frags especially if you don't have problems. My feeling is once you give or sell corals its on the reciever. You have no idea what they've done. Besides, how can live corals on plugs that came from your healthy system make a nitrate issue?

OP
OP
Speg

Speg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds to me like someone isnt doing their water cghanges or didnt pull a fish out when it died and that is what has caused the spike, so to avoid lame they are trying to blame you speg. that is terrible. Sorry bro.

Yeah..it's hard to pinpoint what's happening to their system because no information is given--just blame. My frag system is doing great and it has 100+ of these plugs. I'm almost tired of selling coral to people :) I think I'll just give my stuff to the fish store and let them answer questions :p

coralfarm123

INDMAS Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would blame the Fish store manager. I doubt your frags caused his nitrate spike. Sounds like this person is being fed this information from the person taking care of their tank who is trying to steer the blame to someone else.

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can give your frags to me speg. I accept free frags that people are tired of, LOL!

FishLipz

Cheap and Easy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah..it's hard to pinpoint what's happening to their system because no information is given--just blame. My frag system is doing great and it has 100+ of these plugs. I'm almost tired of selling coral to people :) I think I'll just give my stuff to the fish store and let them answer questions :p

You can just send your frags to me too. I won't blame anything on you:wink:

fenderguy1

Prop/Shipping Pro
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would blame the Fish store manager. I doubt your frags caused his nitrate spike. Sounds like this person is being fed this information from the person taking care of their tank who is trying to steer the blame to someone else.
+1 ..

OP
OP
Speg

Speg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sent the person an email back asking (begging) for them to come to R2R and post all information available so that we could attempt to get to the bottom of their issue. I hope they respond.

I also felt that I needed to email another person who recently made a purchase from me and is supposed to have their coral shipped out tomorrow. I personally don't think that there is any way to blame me or my frag plugs for this, but I figured it was only right to bring this to the attention of people that are currently going to receive frags from me and I offered to refund this person's money and not send them frags if they so choose.

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that was very kind of you speg. I assume you have tested your parameters and they are normal? :wink:! Anyways dont overlook our offers!

cparka23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were looking after a tank that crashed for whatever reason, the first thing I'd do is ask what recent additions were made. There are few professionals who'll say, "Sometimes, things happen that we didn't foresee, and finding out the cause is extremely difficult."

Unless they really tested frag disks, to pin the issue on nitrates from the frag disk is poor logic. By that reasoning, I could tell you that a man hit by a train died of blood loss when, in reality, he died from being hit by a train. You really should ask them how they arrived at their conclusion. Process of elimination doesn't prove causality, despite what some people may believe.

This sounds like belief bias at work. When people suspect X, they'll conclude its X no matter what the evidence, if any, says.

OP
OP
Speg

Speg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that was very kind of you speg. I assume you have tested your parameters and they are normal? :wink:! Anyways dont overlook our offers!

My water is never off. I check all chemical tests about every month when I do it myself and have a fish store double check my results with salifert tests; my readings are always no ammonia/nitrites and almost zero nitrates. The only thing I do constantly is (daily) checks on is SG (1.025).

I wish I had all of their information because a dozen and a half fish in a tank could be too big of a bioload...over time, and with nitrate holders like bioballs, there could be a crash.

Like I mentioned, my tank is great. All of my coral look awesome and grow quickly; I have two fish in my 46 gallon frag tank (a convict goby and fuzzy dwarf lion) both that are amazing. I also have a CUC that looks great and activily cleans (huge mexican turbos, astrea snails, serpent star, hermit crabs). All of my tank critters are thriving and I have 10 times the amount of frag plugs/disks in a much smaller tank than he must have with 18 fish.

OP
OP
Speg

Speg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how many disc did you send them???? maybe if it was a couple hundred and he stuck them in a nano...lol

I believe the number was either 12 or 13 total frags. They were on a mixture of disks and plugs.

SaraB

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

BINGO! If they have the LFS coming twice a week to maintain the sytem, they may not have true knowledge of running a system and are feeding off the LFS persons words.

OP
OP
Speg

Speg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These were sold to the person on 10/4/2010 by the way.

laskopyre

Chuck
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish store owner has to blame someone. His "water" may be tainted. Maintenance companies are great if you have the cash, but they have other customers. If they have 10-20 customers, could be looking at a couple hundred gallons a week. Are they changing their RO/DI filters? If they own a store, that's more water. I would lean more towards the store owner, then your frags. If there was an issue with the frags, he should have contacted you that day. Why wait a month? Like Sara said, it's definately sounds like the LFS owner.

OP
OP
Speg

Speg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This really has nothing to do with the email: I honestly don't know anything about this particular thing...but aquarium maintainance....would coming 1-2 days a week REALLY be enough to successfully keep an aquarium up and running?

I mean...I top off daily and address situations on a daily basis because, lets face it, things do happen..how can only seeing a tank two days a week really be enough?

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 14.1%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 95 47.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 64 32.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.5%
Back