Gracilaria - Help

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We ordered Gracilaria online. It arrived mostly red, in a bag of goopy red, really foul smelling water. Rinsed it in clean salt water, cut out most slimy green sections, and glued to a rock in our QT.

Overnight portions have changed color to bright Orange. Is it dead? Should we take it out and throw it away?

It smelled so bad when it arrived that our eyes were streaming uncontrollably and we vomited from the smell. Worst smell we have ever smelled in our lives. Hands down.

Notably, everything in this order smelled terrible - Inverts and other plants. Because of that, we thought it was the water it arrived in, but maybe it’s dead?

CDBFC1C0-7E53-46BC-A58C-D9B89BE5F5F4.jpeg

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did it come from if you don't mind me asking? I'm interested in getting some of this macro for nutrient export and tang food.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it from ReefCleaners. It was our first time ordering from there.

What type of shipping did ReefCleaners use? Live_Plants discontinued ground shipping in 2020, due to eratic deliveries.

I question the designation Red Gracilaria. Check out Condria

OP
OP
ariellemermaid

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of shipping did ReefCleaners use? Live_Plants discontinued ground shipping in 2020, due to eratic deliveries.

I question the designation Red Gracilaria. Check out Condria

Ground shipping. Thanks for the link—I think you’re right. I ordered Red Gracilaria from a different website a few weeks ago and it looked more like the one labeled as such in your link. It had a thicker, almost rubber-like texture (and did not have the foul smell).

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ground shipping. Thanks for the link—I think you’re right. I ordered Red Gracilaria from a different website a few weeks ago and it looked more like the one labeled as such in your link. It had a thicker, almost rubber-like texture (and did not have the foul smell).

Fluorescent orange is a giveaway for dying red macro. The diver/owner of LivePlants is Russ Kronwetter. His free guide on macros is invaluable.

MrKlumZ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Hello, I just order some online as well and received mine smelling awful. It smells like something died in the package. I rinsed it really well and dropped it into my tank. Now my tank water smells like that. I’m unsure if that is how the macro supposed to smell? Did yours ever survive??

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello, I just order some online as well and received mine smelling awful. It smells like something died in the package. I rinsed it really well and dropped it into my tank. Now my tank water smells like that. I’m unsure if that is how the macro supposed to smell? Did yours ever survive??
Do you have pictures of how it looks currently?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 127 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back