Granulosa? Tortuosa?

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 22, 2017
Messages
4,667
Reaction score
7,391
Location
Milwaukee, WI
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was sold to me as a tort but I have this feeling it’s closer to a granulosa. What say you my sps friends?


CCADA234-741D-49F6-A19F-877BCF352BC4.jpeg


Here is another pic of another colony in very low light. You can see more growth structure here
9C2D8C0E-24AA-41AB-AD15-F115C61800F5.jpeg
 
I have a slight lean towards A. Rosaria, but I would not argue with A. Granulosa as well.

It is not A. Tortuosa or even A. Austera (which most people call torts).
I could see Rosaria. Larger colony pic though makes me lean granulosa. The corallites aren’t so bunched together.
 
Rosaria vs Granulosa imo.
Aha ok so I think we have consensus it's not a tort.

Here is Acropora Rosaria according to Australian Government site:
Colonies are upright bushes or cushion-like. Main branches have secondary and tertiary sub-branches. Axial corallites are large and dome-shaped but not elongate. Radial corallites are bead- or pocket-like. All corallites have thick walls. https://coral.aims.gov.au/factsheet.jsp?speciesCode=0417

Here is Acropora Granulosa according to same:
Colonies are semi-circular horizontal plates, usually less than one metre across. Plates are composed of regularly spaced horizontal branches with short inclined branchlets composed mostly of one or more axial and incipient axial corallites. Radial corallites are small and pocket-like. https://coral.aims.gov.au/factsheet.jsp?speciesCode=0033

Based on that, and comparisons of pictures on the sites, I feel like granulosa is the most likely?
 
It’s desided then. I’ll pm you my address so you know where to send my free Frag for assisting in this matter. Kthxbye
 
I'm on the loripes camp. Good call @evolved
Yes I actually am kinda thinking @evolved is correct. What catches my eye on the granulosa description is the growth pattern. It is very plate-like. And if you look at examples such as the one below, you see it is a very uniform overall shape. This acro I have does not seem to grow that way at all. So it really does make a strong case for Loripes.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new