Great nano reef fish.

Pitcom

Not Reef Safe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About a year ago i purchased one of these and he unfortunately never ate. They seem to have dropped in price recently so i thought i'd give it another round. The geometric pygmy hawk is a very cool little fish. This guy is about 1 inch long and hides throught the rockwork all day. They would really be lost in a large tank, but in my 12 gallon nano you really get to see alot of him. The only thing he will eat is mysid or brine shrimp. They also have a very cool eye color pattern. I'll try to get a better shot but its a little tough since he hangs around the rock work.

Okeewanfonokee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one and he is very shy. I am going thru same dificullty in feeding, I drop in food and he runs. I think they are actually in the anthias family. The food you are trying is it frozen? I tried live brine when I first got him, but he was still very shy and could not verify if he ate or not. I have a lamp near my nano and he likes to come out more after the tank lights are off and the room lights are on. I have tried this twilght time to feed him, but as soon as I open the lid, he hides.
The only way I can describe his eyes is that in certain light there is a blue like stripe. I would say it was as bright as the blue stripe on a freshwater neon tetra. Very cool fish.

OP
OP
Pitcom

Pitcom

Not Reef Safe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one and he is very shy. I am going thru same dificullty in feeding, I drop in food and he runs. I think they are actually in the anthias family. The food you are trying is it frozen? I tried live brine when I first got him, but he was still very shy and could not verify if he ate or not. I have a lamp near my nano and he likes to come out more after the tank lights are off and the room lights are on. I have tried this twilght time to feed him, but as soon as I open the lid, he hides.
The only way I can describe his eyes is that in certain light there is a blue like stripe. I would say it was as bright as the blue stripe on a freshwater neon tetra. Very cool fish.

Yes, i feed frozen foods. That was the problem i had with my first hawk and i know my lfs had a few more come in that never ate either. I actually saw this one eat at the shop after trying a couple times over the course of a week, which is the main reason why i got him. I feed the hikari mysid shrimp that come in the frozen sheet. They are whole and much bigger than the ones in the cubes. He LOVES them. He'll eat 3 or 4 every evening when i feed the tank. That's actually alot considering the size of these shrimp. I was really hoping he would eat blood worms because thats what my target mandarin and red spot glass cardnals eat, but he wont touch it.

Okeewanfonokee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never had anything small enough for him to threaten. My cleaner shrimp was bigger than he was. I am sorry to say I lost mine in a power outage and I have been in the dumps ever since.
They are in the Anthias family and not a true hawk , im sure something the size of sexy shrimp might be at risk.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 27 27.8%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 33 34.0%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 18 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back