Green brittle star reef safe?

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brittle and serpent stars are some of my favorite creatures. I've got a brown brittle (12"), an orange serpent (8"), and a tan and red striped serpent (5") and they're all great in my reef. Yesterday I picked up a small green serpent and threw it in my fuge but Id like to put it in my dt. I've heard the rumors about greens being killers but question if they're really any different than the other colors. So my question, have any of you actually witnessed green brittle starfish attacking live, healthy fish?

Last edited:
OP
OP
xxkenny90xx

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HELLO hello hello hello (echos)

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Years ago before this was known I lost clownfish and anthias to one I had. They get very large and are active/bold to the point that they will come out when the fish are fed to grab food.

This is a nice short summary--

OP
OP
xxkenny90xx

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. He's still in the sump. Hmm I wonder if my marine giant hermit in my other tank would leave him be...

Anastyllo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brittle and serpent stars are some of my favorite creatures. I've got a brown brittle (12"), an orange serpent (8"), and a tan and red striped serpent (5") and they're all great in my reef. Yesterday I picked up a small green serpent and threw it in my fuge but Id like to put it in my dt. I've heard the rumors about greens being killers but question if they're really any different than the other colors. So my question, have any of you actually witnessed green brittle starfish attacking live, healthy fish?
We started the tank with a green brittle star and 3 small fish (can’t remember the name) one died and that star fish ate it but after that, the other 2 fish disappeared. Literally gone. The only inhabitants were those 4. So, yes, I totally believe the star fish will eat healthy fish.

U

User1

View Badges
Yes, and, well, no. The million dollar question is what type of green brittle star do you have? Meaning several may look similar or labelled incorrectly you need to know to answer correctly. Long and short of it is this though.

If you purchased Ophiarachna incrassata then the answer is no. Do not pass go and head to jail (aka the sump) or return it. Link below. It is a nocturnal predator and I know because I made a mistake of buying one for my first tank back in 1999. Read below and your questions should be answered!

Alanmayer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, they will eat anything they can catch (not corals) they cannot catch fish but snails are fair game

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 68 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back