Green Chromis are Dying

cjpitt80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 more gone, down to just 4. 1yr ago, quarantine tank was initially seeded with a sponge filter from the DT and cycle starter bottle. I keep the QT up and running 24/7 and I have the Seachem ammonia guard badge. There's also a Foxface Lo in there who seems to be doing just fine. I don't think there's any issues with the QT water.

cjpitt80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One on the first day I noticed. Treated everyone with API general cure. The subsequent ones, look fine one day, then the next dead. No visual trauma to the body that I can discern with my untrained eyes (though I didn't perform a full fish autopsy)

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 more gone, down to just 4. 1yr ago, quarantine tank was initially seeded with a sponge filter from the DT and cycle starter bottle. I keep the QT up and running 24/7 and I have the Seachem ammonia guard badge. There's also a Foxface Lo in there who seems to be doing just fine. I don't think there's any issues with the QT water.
Sorry I was addressing the OP's situation back in 2012 I missed that part. He had 40 Chromis and just had a single sponge and a bottle of some magic bacteria potion.

cjpitt80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, it was truly a "Holy Thread Resurrection, Batman" lol. I was just adding to the general narrative out there, these guys aint the strongest

madlos123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept blue 7 green chromis for 2 months plus 1 month in QT now and going strong. Never lost one but in fact they doubled their size and the alpha one started to do courting dances and I see some spawning bed on my glass. I even one the weakest one yet growing and doing pretty good.
I know its only 3 months but
One thing I notice is or I did:
Buy from a LFS
Buy and add them at one time/same group
Buy them 7+ in quantity
Make sure they are healthy and no noticeable disease or parasite
try to use the least harsh med treatment. I used prazi with ttm with 3 cycled sponge filter.
Feed alot. I do 3x flakes and 4 frozen cubes of spirulina brine shrimp a day once in the display tank. I only did 1 flakes and 2 cubes while qt.
No agressive tank mates.
Have decent enough hiding spaces.
Like mbuna cichlids , have 1 male to 3+ female preferably if possible.

Last edited:

madlos123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals are waking up and a little angry bec my phosphate and nitrate got bottomed out bec of my refugium lol
picts :)

20200120_135350_1552.jpg 20200120_135350_6981.jpg 20200120_135350_51684.jpg

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 10.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back