OP
N

neMo40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you
I hate to be a pest but after getting them into qt I noticed there skin is peeling below I have attached pictures can I've had 2 reply one says velvet and you say brook should I treat for both .? An maybe these pictures will be better I just noticed the skin peeling

Attachments

• 20240429_124205.jpg
    20240429_124205.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 20240429_124202.jpg
    20240429_124202.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 20240429_124159.jpg
    20240429_124159.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 24

jellifishi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're not a bug at all! I would say it's possible it's Brooks. This is a method that I found on here that has pictures of the same peeling "skin".

Clownfish are very susceptible to Brooklynella which looks like a mucus sheathing on the fish. It is very deadly and must be treated quickly.

1. Formalin 37% bath for 45 min or Ruby Reef Rally (acroflavin) bath for 90 min
2. Then place in clean quarantine tank and treat the water with Metrodonizole every 48 hrs for 10-14 days.

In the meantime, a 5min freshwater dip will give some relief but will not cure it.

OP
OP
N

neMo40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're not a bug at all! I would say it's possible it's Brooks. This is a method that I found on here that has pictures of the same peeling "skin".
OK I have them all in qt now accept for the eel and nems so wish me luck .treatment started last night

mues

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peeling is almost tell tale signs of brook/velvet. Being that is is multiple fish, fast death, and the mucous coat on the clowns doesn't look thickened I would say more likely to be velvet, but #fishmedic will confirm

OP
OP
N

neMo40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peeling is almost tell tale signs of brook/velvet. Being that is is multiple fish, fast death, and the mucous coat on the clowns doesn't look thickened I would say more likely to be velvet, but #fishmedic will confirm
It almost looks like a mucus slimy coat that started coming off after a fresh water dip. My eel stays under a rock but he is eating as normal and I haven't seen any sytoms on him. I had 2 clown fish die. My puffer has the same slimy skin looking stuff coming off him. My regal tang seems ok he does have purplish dots on him almost as if wounds but very tiny. Hard to explain an impossible to get a pictures he never slows down. I have a blue damsel that was a starter fish he shows no syptoms at all.

mues

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It almost looks like a mucus slimy coat that started coming off after a fresh water dip. My eel stays under a rock but he is eating as normal and I haven't seen any sytoms on him. I had 2 clown fish die. My puffer has the same slimy skin looking stuff coming off him. My regal tang seems ok he does have purplish dots on him almost as if wounds but very tiny. Hard to explain an impossible to get a pictures he never slows down. I have a blue damsel that was a starter fish he shows no syptoms at all.
I could be wrong then. Thickened coats are often brook. Very common in clowns, not so common on other fish. Somebody will be able to identify for you though, I'm definitely not an expert

OP
OP
N

neMo40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could be wrong then. Thickened coats are often brook. Very common in clowns, not so common on other fish. Somebody will be able to identify for you though, I'm definitely not an expert
Me either I'm pretty sure it's brook or velvet from the answers I've got. I just don't know what to treat for I started copper last night because I honestly don't know what to do. So I just did something I had on hand. I've got myself into a mess that's going to take awhile to recover regardless. Sucks!

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still looks like brook - you’re going to want to do a ruby rally treatment.
All fish should be considered exposed and would need to be treated as well.
@Jay Hemdal - thoughts on what to do with an eel in treatment?

Late stage ich is also possible, but given that brook is a more aggressive disease, I would treat for that first. None of the symptoms here line up with velvet.

OP
OP
N

neMo40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me either I'm pretty sure it's brook or velvet from the answers I've got. I just don't know what to treat for I started copper last night because I honestly don't know what to do. So I just did something I had on hand. I've got myself first time I have ever had any issues this serious

Late stage ich is also possible, but given that brook is a more aggressive disease, I would treat for that first. None of the symptoms here line up with velvet.
I will search for ruby rally and get it ordered hopefully over night on Amazon. In the mean time I have seachem paragaurd

Late stage ich is also possible, but given that brook is a more aggressive disease, I would treat for that first. None of the symptoms here line up

My eel seems perfectly fine but the last thing I want to do is go through all this an allow my tank to fallow for so long. Only to put them back into my dt. Only for them to catch again. I have 2 nems and my snowflake .only problem is I have no more tanks to qt him. What is your thought on UV light leaving him in an just treating with uv light or is it not worth the risk.

OP
OP
N

neMo40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish will always be a carrier - you would need to do something with it.
Neither uv or paraguard would have any appreciable effect.
Thank you for the information. I will remove him as well.just to be clear. Nems and blue legs crabs I can leave in there correct?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Looks like Brooklynella to me. To be honest, I don’t know if eels even get Brook. I’d be inclined to treat the clowns like Idoc mentioned in the post above.

OP
OP
N

neMo40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like Brooklynella to me. To be honest, I don’t know if eels even get Brook. I’d be inclined to treat the clowns like Idoc mentioned in the post above.
Thank you all for your knowledge. I will get it done. As for my eel do you know I he can be bathed in ruby reef?
Its wild to me that people expect car dealers to give bad advice but not fish dealers
Never again

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for your knowledge. I will get it done. As for my eel do you know I he can be bathed in ruby reef?

Never again

Yes - you can treat eels with Ruby Reef. Just be sure it can't get out of the bath container.

Last edited:

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 17 77.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back