Green chromis injury

Generallyfunperson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So yesterday i bought two green chromis. Today ive noticed an apperent injury on one of them [pictures will be shown later]

So is this something that will heal over time? Or do i need to do something about it? What do i do about it?

Also I realize this might not be the exact place to put it but idk where else to put it

20220911_150336.jpg
20220911_150334.jpg

[My light burnt out yesterday which is why the camera quality is so poor]

lulubap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What can i do about it?
Chromis unfortunately are susceptible to uronema. I’ve read that you can treat it with a 45 min formalin bath and then transfer it to QT. Upon transfer, you can dose and treat its food with metronidazole (i.e metroplex). Best of luck, hope the little guy pulls through.

Edit: an article I read which recommended formalin for uronema only recommends it if you suspect it is going to manifest in fish, NOT if the fish has red sores. Apologies for the misinformation.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

Generallyfunperson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chromis unfortunately are susceptible to uronema. I’ve read that you can treat it with a 45 min formalin bath and then transfer it to QT. Upon transfer, you can dose and treat its food with metronidazole (i.e metroplex). Best of luck, hope the little guy pulls through.

Edit: an article I read which recommended formalin for uronema only recommends it if you suspect it is going to manifest in fish, NOT if the fish has red sores. Apologies for the misinformation.
It is alright, im also trying to figure out what i can do. Like i said to someone else, i dont have enough room or a place for a QT tank so i need to figure out my alternatives.

Upvote 0

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uronema works pretty fast. once the fish are displaying red spots, it's likely too late to treat or save the fish, it will likely die in a day or two. I wouldn't bother trying to treat with formalin at this point.

From chromis I've seen with uronema, they usually stop swimming/schooling with the other chromis and start hiding in a corner until they die. usually happens pretty quick, a day or two at most. the other chromis usually sense the weakness and double their aggression towards that fish and it doesn't last long.

so if your fish isn't doing this, then there is a chance it isn't uronema and might just be an injury or something else. hard to say.

I'd just watch it for another day or two. If it dies, it was more than likely uronema and nothing could have been done. if it doesn't go downhill then it probably wasn't uronema and it may have a chance of getting better.

Upvote 0

lulubap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is alright, im also trying to figure out what i can do. Like i said to someone else, i dont have enough room or a place for a QT tank so i need to figure out my alternatives.
You could still dose its food with metro and perhaps seachem focus to bind the metronidazole. Unfortunately if the uronema is in your system, then it will typically subsist off detritus and bacteria. You *could* formalin bathe your other chromis. Unfortunately uronema doesn’t have many end-all cures. Going off of what @LeftyReefer said, at the point where your chromis is, people recommend euthanasia to prevent spread. However, I would monitor your other chromis.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

Generallyfunperson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A clean bucket with airstone will suffice.
Would an old
Uronema works pretty fast. once the fish are displaying red spots, it's likely too late to treat or save the fish, it will likely die in a day or two. I wouldn't bother trying to treat with formalin at this point.

From chromis I've seen with uronema, they usually stop swimming/schooling with the other chromis and start hiding in a corner until they die. usually happens pretty quick, a day or two at most. the other chromis usually sense the weakness and double their aggression towards that fish and it doesn't last long.

so if your fish isn't doing this, then there is a chance it isn't uronema and might just be an injury or something else. hard to say.

I'd just watch it for another day or two. If it dies, it was more than likely uronema and nothing could have been done. if it doesn't go downhill then it probably wasn't uronema and it may have a chance of getting better.
Ahh i see. Well this is an unfortunate turnout of events. The infected one has stopped schooling but it is swimming around a little bit. But it hasn't moved into a corner yet.

Upvote 0

lulubap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would an old

Ahh i see. Well this is an unfortunate turnout of events. The infected one has stopped schooling but it is swimming around a little bit. But it hasn't moved into a corner yet.
If you haven’t seen red sores pop up, formalin bathing could work and close monitoring.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

Generallyfunperson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could still dose its food with metro and perhaps seachem focus to bind the metronidazole. Unfortunately if the uronema is in your system, then it will typically subsist off detritus and bacteria. You *could* formalin bathe your other chromis. Unfortunately uronema doesn’t have many end-all cures. Going off of what @LeftyReefer said, at the point where your chromis is, people recommend euthanasia to prevent spread. However, I would monitor your other chromis.
Ill definitely keep that im mind, ill keep an eye on them. If it does end up dying though that sucks

Upvote 0

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there sores on both sides? That's usual for uronema. If only on one side, there is a chance it is an injury inflicted by another fish. What else is in the tank?

As others said uronema is very seldom successfully treated. Fortunately it tends to not ne contagious. But if one chromis has it the odds are high the others will eventually show it too.

Upvote 0

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't give up all hope yet OP. That red sore is small and pretty far back on the tail. It might not be uronema at all. Uronema displays as red spots in the body, but so do other things too.

That's why I suggested doing nothing at this point and just watching it for another day or two. it might just look similar.

FYI, it took me three batches of chromis before I was able to get a batch through a full QT. I have a trio of chromis in my QT right now that just finished their 30 days in copper and prazi and are now under an observation period before releasing them into my DT. My first two attempts at QTing them all failed in multiple uronema deaths.

chromis aren't easy to QT.

When it comes to chromis, I'm a firm believer in taking some extra time and buying healthier chromis stock. My LFS would get big batches in of them weekly and every day a few would die.. the next day a few more would die, until they were all gone. They would sell a bunch too, but a bunch would die every day they were in the store. I waited until they got a batch in that didn't exhibit a bunch of die off and then bought those. Those are what I have in my QT tank now and I had much better success with them.

Upvote 0

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once it reaches the stage your chromis has jt usually fatal. Metroplex could help.
The worst is that it's in the dt and it will always be in the dt now unless you use drastic measures. It doesn't need a fish host to survive. Uroma can feed on fish waste and detritus.

Upvote 0
Back