Green chromis injury

Generallyfunperson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So yesterday i bought two green chromis. Today ive noticed an apperent injury on one of them [pictures will be shown later]

So is this something that will heal over time? Or do i need to do something about it? What do i do about it?

Also I realize this might not be the exact place to put it but idk where else to put it

20220911_150336.jpg
20220911_150334.jpg

[My light burnt out yesterday which is why the camera quality is so poor]

OP
OP
G

Generallyfunperson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there sores on both sides? That's usual for uronema. If only on one side, there is a chance it is an injury inflicted by another fish. What else is in the tank?

As others said uronema is very seldom successfully treated. Fortunately it tends to not ne contagious. But if one chromis has it the odds are high the others will eventually show it too.
Only on one side

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

Generallyfunperson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't give up all hope yet OP. That red sore is small and pretty far back on the tail. It might not be uronema at all. Uronema displays as red spots in the body, but so do other things too.

That's why I suggested doing nothing at this point and just watching it for another day or two. it might just look similar.

FYI, it took me three batches of chromis before I was able to get a batch through a full QT. I have a trio of chromis in my QT right now that just finished their 30 days in copper and prazi and are now under an observation period before releasing them into my DT. My first two attempts at QTing them all failed in multiple uronema deaths.

chromis aren't easy to QT.

When it comes to chromis, I'm a firm believer in taking some extra time and buying healthier chromis stock. My LFS would get big batches in of them weekly and every day a few would die.. the next day a few more would die, until they were all gone. They would sell a bunch too, but a bunch would die every day they were in the store. I waited until they got a batch in that didn't exhibit a bunch of die off and then bought those. Those are what I have in my QT tank now and I had much better success with them.
Awesome, i am hopeful that it survives bc i like chromis and plus no fish deserves to die

Upvote 0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is there any preventative measures i can take for the others, theyre acting normal, just this one who's staying away.
There are numerous threads about this - 1 - only certain fish are 'extremely' susceptible. 2. There is no way to eradicate it - the best bet is to make sure the fish you do have are healthy, well fed and low stress. 3. I would avoid buying fish that are susceptible to uronema for the foreseeable future

Upvote 0

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's why I suggested doing nothing at this point and just watching it for another day or two. it might just look similar.
If it's uroma and you do nothing the fish is dead very quick. It won't have 2 days.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

Generallyfunperson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure that one side or both sides is diagnostic - BUT - one side is. better than both - and could suggest another (bacterial cause).
Fair enough. [Apologies for my low effort responses im being overwhelmed with notifications all of a sudden]

Upvote 0

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair enough. [Apologies for my low effort responses im being overwhelmed with notifications all of a sudden]
It's a lot of info coming in. Your doing fine you don't have to respond to all. A simple like is enough at this time.

Upvote 0

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you get me a link for good stuff, so i don't have to worry about getting bad product [as well as i can absorb the other 50 comments im getting]

Upvote 0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
BTW - I agree with most of the other comments - it's 'likely a poor prognosis', Oral metronidazole may help as may various dips. You needn't respond to everyone. Do what you can do - and at the same time - Pay attention to the rest of your tank/fish. Best wishes.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

Generallyfunperson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you!!

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
There are red spots near the tail unfortunately. Ones like seen here
20220911_150334.jpg
This is not injury but uronema. You will want to get Quick Cure. If none, then Ruby rally Pro.
Best treatment choice is a 45 min formalin bath using Quick Cure then finished in a quarantine tank. Once in QT tank, treat and assure that the parasites have been eliminated. You can also soak food in metronidazole . . . Seachem Metroplex for 10-14 days. Any other chromis in the tank?
Treatment is 1ml per 10 gallons, or 2 drops per gallon each day

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

Generallyfunperson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not injury but uronema. You will want to get Quick Cure. If none, then Ruby rally Pro.
Best treatment choice is a 45 min formalin bath using Quick Cure then finished in a quarantine tank. Once in QT tank, treat and assure that the parasites have been eliminated. You can also soak food in metronidazole . . . Seachem Metroplex for 10-14 days. Any other chromis in the tank?
Treatment is 1ml per 10 gallons, or 2 drops per gallon each day
2 others, one of them was in there before these two new ones

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Metroplex bound with focus to the food.
That needs to be a measured dose though - 0.5 % in the food be weight. You need an accurate gram scale.

I’ve never cured a fish with internal Uronema though…..

Jay

Upvote 0

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That needs to be a measured dose though - 0.5 % in the food be weight. You need an accurate gram scale.

I’ve never cured a fish with internal Uronema though…..

Jay
How do you get the proper does in a fish

Upvote 0

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 79 45.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 80 45.7%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.1%

Back