Green Chromis weird patch?

saltwaterswiftie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new green chromis that has been in my QT tank for 24 hours now. I did not notice this until now but one of the fish has a small white patch on his head. I am not sure what it is and have not noticed any other symptoms. Is he sick? Should I treat with something? I have some copper power medication just in case.

IMG_0244.jpg IMG_0245.jpg IMG_0249.jpg

OP
OP
saltwaterswiftie

saltwaterswiftie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could it be that it scratched itself of something maybe?
it might have. the fish seem to be getting along but one of my fish did jump out of the tank when I was drip acclimating and I immediately put him back in. I am not sure if that is the same fish (i have a school of 5)

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am no professional at all, I am definitely more knowledgeable when it comes to corals but imo if it’s eating well, not scratching itself or gasping for air at the surface. Chances are it’s gonna be ok

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have a new green chromis that has been in my QT tank for 24 hours now. I did not notice this until now but one of the fish has a small white patch on his head. I am not sure what it is and have not noticed any other symptoms. Is he sick? Should I treat with something? I have some copper power medication just in case.

IMG_0244.jpg IMG_0245.jpg IMG_0249.jpg
its a physical injury and while should heal on its own, chromis like to chase and fight and may subject fish to further injury. Isolation is warranted and treatment with either Seachem Kanaplex or maracyn 2 in a quarantine tank with added oxygen

OP
OP
saltwaterswiftie

saltwaterswiftie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its a physical injury and while should heal on its own, chromis like to chase and fight and may subject fish to further injury. Isolation is warranted and treatment with either Seachem Kanaplex or maracyn 2 in a quarantine tank with added oxygen
The injured fish is already in my QT tank with 4 other chromis. Since I only have 1 QT tank, can I put the medication you listed in the tank with the whole school? I do have a breeder box that goes inside the tank. I could use that to separate the injured fish.

Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The injured fish is already in my QT tank with 4 other chromis. Since I only have 1 QT tank, can I put the medication you listed in the tank with the whole school? I do have a breeder box that goes inside the tank. I could use that to separate the injured fish.

Are you treating anything currently? Copper etc?? I'm not too sure if you can run antibiotics at the same time.

But that breeder box is a good idea to give him a little break from possible agression

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Separate injured fish and while you can add treatment, I dont favor treating fish with symptoms, however you can treat them all with ruby rally Pro which is reef safe and safe for all- just will work a little slower than Maracyn and Kanaplex

OP
OP
saltwaterswiftie

saltwaterswiftie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you treating anything currently? Copper etc?? I'm not too sure if you can run antibiotics at the same time.

But that breeder box is a good idea to give him a little break from possible agression
I am not treating with anything. They are in QT since I bought them 24 hours ago

Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not treating with anything. They are in QT since I bought them 24 hours ago

Vetteguy is the better person to listen to here lol!

But yea if you're not treating with anything prophylactically, then i would just seperate the injured fella and keep some meds on hand incase they take a turn for the worse

OP
OP
saltwaterswiftie

saltwaterswiftie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no! When I woke up this morning, the fish was laying down in the net. I was able to get him a little bit of food but seems like he is going to die soon. Is there anything I could do for this guy? Should I get another fish so my school has an odd number?

Screenshot 2023-06-19 at 9.42.25 AM.png

Last edited:

Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no! When I woke up this morning, the fish was laying down in the net. I was able to get him a little bit of food but seems like he is going to die soon. Is there anything I could do for this guy? Should I get another fish so my school has an odd number?

Screenshot 2023-06-19 at 9.42.25 AM.png
Oh man sorry about that :( is he breathing fast? Are the others doing okay???

I would maybe hold off on purchasing another one until everything is sorted, 4 isnt a bad number but more never hurts to spread out the bullying... although all my chromis slowly just kinda bullied eachother to death until there was 3

OP
OP
saltwaterswiftie

saltwaterswiftie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man sorry about that :( is he breathing fast? Are the others doing okay???

I would maybe hold off on purchasing another one until everything is sorted, 4 isnt a bad number but more never hurts to spread out the bullying... although all my chromis slowly just kinda bullied eachother to death until there was 3
He is going back and forth between breathing really fast and normal. The others seem to be okay and look normal.

Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has he developed any other symptoms??? Any more white spots?? Rapid movement spasms?? Any redness near gills?

Have you tested the QT for ammonia??

OP
OP
saltwaterswiftie

saltwaterswiftie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has he developed any other symptoms??? Any more white spots?? Rapid movement spasms?? Any redness near gills?

Have you tested the QT for ammonia??
He did not have any of those symptoms. He was moving a little erratic before he died but it didn’t look like spasms.

NH4 was 0.25, so I did a 10% water change

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He did not have any of those symptoms. He was moving a little erratic before he died but it didn’t look like spasms.

NH4 was 0.25, so I did a 10% water change
Although it isnt a typical location for this, green chromis are really prone to developing Uronema. Seeing the fish laying on its side indicates that this is more than just a minor injury. If the lesion turns red it is most likely Uronema. Here is an article about that:

Jay

OP
OP
saltwaterswiftie

saltwaterswiftie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although it isnt a typical location for this, green chromis are really prone to developing Uronema. Seeing the fish laying on its side indicates that this is more than just a minor injury. If the lesion turns red it is most likely Uronema. Here is an article about that:

Jay
It did not turn red before he died (this morning). The only other symptom I saw was him struggling to breathe close to when he died. I do not see anything wrong with the other 4 chromis. Should I add copper to the QT as a precaution?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 102 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back