Green Chromis weird patch?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It did not turn red before he died (this morning). The only other symptom I saw was him struggling to breathe close to when he died. I do not see anything wrong with the other 4 chromis. Should I add copper to the QT as a precaution?
Copper won’t cure Uronema. Running a copper quarantine will help with ich and velvet issues though.
Did the fish die with its mouth fixed open? That’s another trademark of Uronema.
If not Uronema, I’m still trying to see how the rapid breathing wound be associated with an injury.

Jay

OP
OP
saltwaterswiftie

saltwaterswiftie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper won’t cure Uronema. Running a copper quarantine will help with ich and velvet issues though.
Did the fish die with its mouth fixed open? That’s another trademark of Uronema.
If not Uronema, I’m still trying to see how the rapid breathing wound be associated with an injury.

Jay
Yes he did die with his mouth fixed open. When I woke up at 9:30am he was intermittently breathing rapid. I had a meeting and was not able to check on him again until 11 and when I did he was dead.

Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weird... id keep an eye on the others... if it is uronema i dont think theres much we can do...

OP
OP
saltwaterswiftie

saltwaterswiftie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal Another green chromis had a white spot so I moved him into isolation yesterday. Today, his white spot does look red. The fish seems to be eating and I do not see heavy breathing of other symptoms. It has hard to get a good picture but he has one red spot on his side.

Attachments

• greenchromis4.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 19
  • greenchromis3.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 10
  • greenchromis2.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 15
  • greenchromis1.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0285.MOV
    20.6 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal Another green chromis had a white spot so I moved him into isolation yesterday. Today, his white spot does look red. The fish seems to be eating and I do not see heavy breathing of other symptoms. It has hard to get a good picture but he has one red spot on his side.
That also looks like Uronema, sorry!

Jay

OP
OP
saltwaterswiftie

saltwaterswiftie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That also looks like Uronema, sorry!

Jay
The fish sadly died today. I have three more green chromis from the same LFS that appear to be still healthy. Is there anything preventative I can do for them? I was planning on doing a water change and switching out the filter with a spare I have.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish sadly died today. I have three more green chromis from the same LFS that appear to be still healthy. Is there anything preventative I can do for them? I was planning on doing a water change and switching out the filter with a spare I have.

I know internal uronema is super-frustrating. People want treatments, but the fact is, inter-cellular protozoans are always difficult to treat - think Malaria and the "brain-eating amoeba", these are difficult to treat in humans, even with much better medicine than we have for fish.

As my article said, Chloroquine kills Uronema externally in the aquarium, but not inside any fish. The external Uronema is not been proven to cause active fish disease.

To be honest, I now just try to avoid Uronema by not buying green chromis, yellow coris wrasse, or lyretail anthias.

Jay

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 95 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back