Green coraline algae

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In all the years that I have been interested in the hobby I have heard of green coraline algae but never seen it in person. Recently my tank hit the 10 month mark and I was stoked about the pink and purple coraline algae that has been spreading in the tank, slow but steady. However, over the last few weeks those have slowed and green coraline algae is really outpacing its growth.
Tonight during my halftime break I started to really take a close look at the tank and noticed alot of green coraline algae, I mean alot by comparison.

Any thoughts as to why it would outpace the pink and purple or where it might originate? The tank was started with dry rock and nothing I brought in had green coraline on it, yeah it could have been spores.

It's definitely coraline, it is hard and won't scrape easily. In the first pic you can see it on my overflow along side a purple spot.

Oh BTW, I seeded the tank with snails who had coraline, some small pieces of rock and one bottle of the liquid stuff, just FYI.

Lol I clean 3 panes of glass, I leave the forth as is for my CUC and blenny that's why its algae covered

20211107_182418.jpg
20211107_182346.jpg

Last edited:

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In all the years that I have been interested in the hobby I have heard of green coraline algae but never seen it in person. Recently my tank hit the 10 month mark and I was stoked about the pink and purple coraline algae that has been spreading in the tank, slow but steady. However, over the last few weeks those have slowed and green coraline algae is really outpacing its growth.
Tonight during my halftime break I started to really take a close look at the tank and noticed alot of green coraline algae, I mean alot by comparison.

Any thoughts as to why it would outpace the pink and purple or where it might originate? The tank was started with dry rock and nothing I brought in had green coraline on it, yeah it could have been spores.

It's definitely coraline, it is hard and won't scrape easily. In the first pic you can see it on my overflow along side a purple spot.

Oh BTW, I seeded the tank with snails who had coraline, some small pieces of rock and one bottle of the liquid stuff, just FYI.

Lol I clean 3 panes of glass, I leave the forth as is for my CUC and blenny that's why its algae covered

This particular picture looks like green algae which had a turbo snail swirl it’s marks over .
If it’s hard …… it could be coralline

OP
OP
G Santana

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This particular picture looks like green algae which had a turbo snail swirl it’s marks over .
If it’s hard …… it could be coralline
It's definitely hard, you can't scrape with your finger, you need a blade. At first I thought it was algae and didn't give it much thought, but while cleaning the glass today, I found it was as hard as the purple

Cleverbs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's definitely hard, you can't scrape with your finger, you need a blade. At first I thought it was algae and didn't give it much thought, but while cleaning the glass today, I found it was as hard as the purple
I had this in my tank for awhile. I never felt like it was a type of coralline. My Magfloat didnt scrape it off and I had to use a razor blade to get it off. Always accumulated in the same areas along the sand bed. Maybe it was coraline, I always thought it was some type of algae.

boboyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The green one is more "rare" but grows much much faster than pink or purple coraline. If you dont like it get a magfloat with the scraper attachment.

Wait it out also, in my seahorse tank I had some wierd brown-green things growing which turned into purple coraline after a few weeks :)

For the main tank which only had green coraline for 6 months, it somehow died off when my grandpa passed away and my water parameters went to poop. Lots of coral deaths but no fish during that first month. Purple started really taking over since then so it looks nicer now

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its just algae
Sorry, what exactly are you saying here? Coralline is algae. Kelp is algae. Phytoplankton can be algae.
Second!

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20211107_182418.jpg
20211107_182346.jpg
Can't really help much, but the rocks in the used tank I purchased were covered in green corralline. The guy i got it from dosed it and purple (at least that's what he said) The purple is starting to overtake the green at this point though. But here is a pic when I first got it.

Attachments

• IMG_6836.jpg
    IMG_6836.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 117

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
i am almost certain to have this same algae growing in my DT as well. i am noticing a lot of purple, red, and pink as well.

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this hard green coraline type algae. It was very hard and a little harder to scrape than the purple. It eventually was out powered by the purple.

iamahab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had what looked like green coraline growing in my tank but turned out to be purple coraline with green algae growing over it. My tank is a mess I swear.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-11-19 at 6.54.29 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-19 at 6.54.29 AM.png
    1 MB · Views: 69

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back