"Green" Coralline?

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't recall if I posted this question before, but anyhow attaching a picture here - Tank is 1.25 years old, and this green appeared 4 months after the tank cycled. Water parameters were and is always good - in terms of Nitrates and Phosphates - never elevated or high, but constant and low to the point that regular algae should not thrive.

This green *can't* be scrubbed off - it's almost like the rock is painted. As the picture shows, some is also on the substrate.

Anyone have any ideas/suggestions what this might be? I was told that this might be coralline, but am not too confident.

Thanks

20231011_070426_resized.jpg

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. My newest tank I set up on February using dry rock has the same looking green algae (?) covering the rocks. I didn't realize it was there untill I turned the lights to white one day. Mine isn't visible under blues.
This is mine
20230718_091923.jpg

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually get green Coralline algae before the purple stuff when I set up new systems.

OP
OP
R

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. My newest tank I set up on February using dry rock has the same looking green algae (?) covering the rocks. I didn't realize it was there untill I turned the lights to white one day. Mine isn't visible under blues.
This is mine
20230718_091923.jpg
Mine looks exactly the same when I turn on just the whites, or up the whites. That's why I have less % of whites 'cause it's a bit of an eyesore.

Do you have the green on the substrate as well?

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks - did your system look green like ours prior to the purple?
Yup. There's different colors of coralline. Sometimes hot pink and red pops up in my tank from time to time, but its always green before any of the other colors in a new setup. Your's look normal to me.

OP
OP
R

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup. There's different colors of coralline. Sometimes hot pink and red pops up in my tank from time to time, but its always green before any of the other colors in a new setup. Your's look normal to me.
Thank you :) It's my first system, so going through the stages and trying to figure things out and what's normal and what isn't. So far it's been a smooth ride.

However, since my substrate has a bit of this green, I didn't know that coralline would 'attach' itself to that.

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you :) It's my first system, so going through the stages and trying to figure things out and what's normal and what isn't. So far it's been a smooth ride.

However, since my substrate has a bit of this green, I didn't know that coralline would 'attach' itself to that.
Take your time. There's a ton to learn and panicking in this hobby leads to disaster. There are few things you need to panic about in this hobby anyways.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It's probably not coralline. Sometimes coralline will start off as neon green but it quickly progresses to red or purple... IME, the "new green" coralline would not cover an entire rock and certainly not for over 2 years.

But, coralline CAN grow on sand... I think it can grow on just about anything, lol

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you dose purple or pink paint? Without it the coralline will not look nice!

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coralline comes in every color. Green, brown and purple are well adapted to most tanks with low output lighting and higher residual building blocks. Blue usually went away quickly, but you can keep yellow red and pink if you have high enough lighting and parameters near ocean levels... of course you will need a way to introduce these into your tank since pacific rock is hard to find now.

Get some snails from the Keys and they have all of the purple on their shells that you need.

If you got the rocks used, there is a slight possibility that they are stained from medication like Malachite Green.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 164 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back