Green hair algae

BRS

Fry1992

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Hi all, any tips on getting rid of green hair algae ? Been battling it for a few months now and not making much of a dent. It came I during the "ugly" stage of setting the tank up. Nitrates and Phosphate measure low but probably stuck up in the Algae. I've brought a tailspot blenny and emerald crab to try and help but they've not made much of a dent. Currently doing bi weekly changes and picking some of the algae off every day. Can't take the rock out as it has a mushroom and torch glued to it.

Any help/suggestions would be great.

Cheers

George (uk based)

Fritz

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Pull out as much as you can by hand. CUC won't touch it once it gets long. Blast what you can't reach with boiling tank water from a turkey baster. Add some turbo snails and urchins. They are the only CUC that I've seen make a meaningful dent in GHA.

I advocate exhausting all natural solutions before resorting to adding chemicals.

OP
F

Fry1992

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Are urchins alright in small tanks with corals or do they just pick them up ? Anything better to scrub with than a standard toothbrush?

Corals.com

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
GHA is a very efficient nutrient consumer and will do so at higher rates than most anything else in your tank (except cyano/bacteria).

Margarita snails are reputed to munch on GHA results vary though.

I have noticed that when I use my lanthanum chloride to knock down phosphates it's easier to remove a day or two later.

I'm starting up an ATS now to deal with mine to out compete DT. There are other tools - refugiums, carbon dosing that work well too. Other than that - manual removal is the order of the day.

BRS

Do you house a "Reef Safe" Angelfish in your reef tank?

• YES and it's going good

Votes: 60 38.0%
  • YES but it's not working out

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • NO I have tried it in the past and it didn't work out

Votes: 15 9.5%
  • NO I haven't tried yet

Votes: 72 45.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 5 3.2%
GHL Advanced Technology