Green hair algae

Fry1992

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, any tips on getting rid of green hair algae ? Been battling it for a few months now and not making much of a dent. It came I during the "ugly" stage of setting the tank up. Nitrates and Phosphate measure low but probably stuck up in the Algae. I've brought a tailspot blenny and emerald crab to try and help but they've not made much of a dent. Currently doing bi weekly changes and picking some of the algae off every day. Can't take the rock out as it has a mushroom and torch glued to it.

Any help/suggestions would be great.

Cheers

George (uk based)

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pull out as much as you can by hand. CUC won't touch it once it gets long. Blast what you can't reach with boiling tank water from a turkey baster. Add some turbo snails and urchins. They are the only CUC that I've seen make a meaningful dent in GHA.

I advocate exhausting all natural solutions before resorting to adding chemicals.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every time you do a water change, manually remove as much as you can. As the tank stabilizes it will slow down. Hermits and snails do wonders but only if it’s been shortened enough.

OP
OP
F

Fry1992

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are urchins alright in small tanks with corals or do they just pick them up ? Anything better to scrub with than a standard toothbrush?

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Clean up crew will handle this. Worst case scenario reeflux will remove in 10 days

hey it’s easier than Dino! That’s all I can say.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GHA is a very efficient nutrient consumer and will do so at higher rates than most anything else in your tank (except cyano/bacteria).

Margarita snails are reputed to munch on GHA results vary though.

I have noticed that when I use my lanthanum chloride to knock down phosphates it's easier to remove a day or two later.

I'm starting up an ATS now to deal with mine to out compete DT. There are other tools - refugiums, carbon dosing that work well too. Other than that - manual removal is the order of the day.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 16 84.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

• Other.

Back