Green Mandarin isn't swimming right

Ashley13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this green mandarin for 3 weeks now and he's been doing great pecking at rocks eating pods until tonight i realized he isn't swimming right more like rolling through the water and i believe he is missing fins. Some of the fins looked to be laid down but im thinking some are gone. What could be causing this. Only tank mates are 2 snowflake clowns which haven't bothered him at all, a yasha goby paired with pistol shrimp, lawnmower blenny, emerald crab and cleaner shrimp which is now folling him around bothering him. Anyone have this issue before?

Attachments

• 20211203_230222.mp4
    34.5 MB
OP
OP
Ashley13

Ashley13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turned the flow so it's not on the bottom as much but he's been doing great until last night so i dont think the flow is the cause he's been swimming around eating fine and i havent seen any tank mates acting mean to him. What tank mate do you think is being aggressive?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
clowns and a yasha goby wouldnt bother a mandarin, very few fish will bother a mandarin, it can produce a slimy toxic coating that keep other fish away, so I doubt it was aggression. Sorry, but on the video, it looks a little lost, usually meaning there are no more pods for it to hunt. How big is the tank and how old is it?

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 above; I would check to see if there is a sustainable number of pods in your DT. Does his stomach area look "pinched?"

OP
OP
Ashley13

Ashley13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has a good amount of pods, i shinned my light and found 20+ in just a couple minutes and 2 were sitting right beside the mandarin. In this picture you can see his back fin is gone, im wondering if he hurt himself somehow on the rocks. But now that he's hurt i haven't seen him eat since late Thursday night.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211204-090646_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211204-090646_Gallery.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 29

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back