Green Reef Chromis behavior

RickNavyDad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still new to saltwater tanks, but have had one in the past. I started a 40 gallon with lots of rock work and sand bottom. I added 3 green reef chromis to start the cycle. For a week now they've hidden in the rockwork only to come out and feed. They are eating good and appear healthy. Shouldn't they have started coming out by now? I'm not running the lights yet, and I only have two hob tidal 55s, so no crazy flow. Weird or normal?

Mrtakeoff53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still new to saltwater tanks, but have had one in the past. I started a 40 gallon with lots of rock work and sand bottom. I added 3 green reef chromis to start the cycle. For a week now they've hidden in the rockwork only to come out and feed. They are eating good and appear healthy. Shouldn't they have started coming out by now? I'm not running the lights yet, and I only have two hob tidal 55s, so no crazy flow. Weird or normal?
Normal, especially since you don’t have any lights. Get some lights on the tank and they will come out during the day. At night they head to the rocks and hide. It’s a natural thing. All my fish do it. I have a royal gramma that I only see during feeding. I’ve had him 2 YEARS!

OP
OP
R

RickNavyDad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normal, especially since you don’t have any lights. Get some lights on the tank and they will come out during the day. At night they head to the rocks and hide. It’s a natural thing. All my fish do it. I have a royal gramma that I only see during feeding. I’ve had him 2 YEARS!
Thanks I have the lights was just taking some advice not to use them for a few weeks. I was told to let the cycle complete and just leave them off.

OP
OP
R

RickNavyDad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You used the fish to cycle the tank? I like to ghost feed or table shrimp. Some organic die off before i place fish in. Give it a week or 2 than fish.

I agree no light = hiding fish.
D
Was the recommendation I got to add some bacteria in a bottle and some fish. I'm rethinking that for sure.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I have the lights was just taking some advice not to use them for a few weeks. I was told to let the cycle complete and just leave them off.
So during cycling you don't need lights on necessarily, but you don't need them off either.

Not sure where the 'lights off' reco came from originally, if I am not wrong either that lights inhibit growth of nitrifiers or that it causes algae growth during cycling. Either way it is not that big a deal.

Algae won't really compete with the nitrifiers, and lights on also restrict your nitrifiers to grow in locations where they would eventually do the most work when you eventually have lights on anyways, so probably actually a good thing.

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you used dry rock, then the bacteria-in-a-bottle will greatly help with the cycle. Fritz Turbo Start and Dr Tim's One and Only seem to work well. I use Dr Tim's. Just be sure to use a nitrifying bacteria and not just any bacteria: they are not all the same. In-tank flow is necessary for the water to flow over and around the rocks (where the bacteria mostly lives).

OP
OP
R

RickNavyDad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you used dry rock, then the bacteria-in-a-bottle will greatly help with the cycle. Fritz Turbo Start and Dr Tim's One and Only seem to work well. I use Dr Tim's. Just be sure to use a nitrifying bacteria and not just any bacteria: they are not all the same. In-tank flow is necessary for the water to flow over and around the rocks (where the bacteria mostly lives).
I used Dr Tim's and I have two tidal 55s on a 40 gallon tank, waters clear but when I stirred up the water doing a water change I could see some food swirling around the bottom. Doesn't move the water like I thought it would.

OP
OP
R

RickNavyDad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So during cycling you don't need lights on necessarily, but you don't need them off either.

Not sure where the 'lights off' reco came from originally, if I am not wrong either that lights inhibit growth of nitrifiers or that it causes algae growth during cycling. Either way it is not that big a deal.

Algae won't really compete with the nitrifiers, and lights on also restrict your nitrifiers to grow in locations where they would eventually do the most work when you eventually have lights on anyways, so probably actually a good thing.
I was told the lights weren't needed during cycling and would help the bateria establish without growing algae. I'll get them set and start using them.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 31 33.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 21.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 8.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 25 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back