Green Spotted Pufferfish

saltwaterlover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got one more question for tonight and it's for my pure wanting to know haha. It's about the Green Spotted Puffer, now I would love one in the near future and I know you can keep them in saltwater but, I'm not entirely sure how to acclimate them into it if they are in Brackish water, to begin with. I would prefer to buy one already acclimated into saltwater but I'm from the uk so I don't know how easy getting ahold of one of those would be. So, basically I've already done tones and tones of research on those cuties but I just want to know the simple questions like:
(Because everything has different opinions)

How to Acclimate Them To SW: (If I Can't Get One Already In SW)
Care Level:
Temperament:
Diet: (Type of meats) I know they eat like snails and stuff but do they eat any brands like pellets?
Reef Compatible:
Water Conditions:
Compatibility With What Other Aquarium Fish:

SourAngelfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I had one of these a long time ago so I know a few of those things.

1. Aggressive. They cannot be kept with other fish. They will rip up everything they see. I had one that bit a head off of my poor tetra :/.
2. not reef compatible for the reason listed above
3.I would feed him krill and other meaty crustaceans. Maybe half-shell clams?

I would rate these guys as a moderate care level. I believe they need a 55 gallon species tank dedicated to themselves and no other animals, so it may be a tough decision if you plan on having other fish.

jduong916

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is great, doesnt bother anyone and doesnt go after any coral. He will attack a snail if it flips over.

Mine will not eat pellets only meaty foods which is kind of a pain sometimes. As far as acclimation goes, see what salinity the puffer came from. And I'd say raise it .05 ppt a week.

SourAngelfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is great, doesnt bother anyone and doesnt go after any coral. He will attack a snail if it flips over
Yea I do suppose they vary, majority of the ones I see are aggressive. Maybe it depends on when you get them? Like maybe the juveniles are less likely to be aggressive if introduced early.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GSP are from estuarine waters. They can tolerate full freshwater, but do better with salt in the water, being able to live full lives in complete marine salinity. As the tide goes in and out, salinity raises and lowers rather quickly. So drip acclimating one over a couple of hours is fine.

In my experience I have found their personality to be moderate. They are usually peaceful, but can be nippy, but I haven't found it to be problematic. I attribute this to the fact that they are curious and they explore their surroundings by biting things.

They are pretty easy to care for and will learn to eat almost all foods offered.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
giphy.gif

SourAngelfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GSP are from estuarine waters. They can tolerate full freshwater, but do better with salt in the water, being able to live full lives in complete marine salinity. As the tide goes in and out, salinity raises and lowers rather quickly. So drip acclimating one over a couple of hours is fine.

In my experience I have found their personality to be moderate. They are usually peaceful, but can be nippy, but I haven't found it to be problematic. I attribute this to the fact that they are curious and they explore their surroundings by biting things.

They are pretty easy to care for and will learn to eat almost all foods offered.
Good to know they are a lot more peaceful than I had once thought, I may reconsider one myself..

OP
OP
saltwaterlover

saltwaterlover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How long would you say to acclimate one and would you say if bought from brackish water just do straight away acclimation with the marine tank water or do it over a course of weeks?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long would you say to acclimate one and would you say if bought from brackish water just do straight away acclimation with the marine tank water or do it over a course of weeks?
I would acclimate between 2-4hrs, do it one day, not over an extended period of time.

But keep an eye on it during acclimation. If it seems stressed, adjust accordingly.

OP
OP
saltwaterlover

saltwaterlover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know if you can keep a peppermint shrimp and a green spotted puffer together?

OP
OP
saltwaterlover

saltwaterlover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say that combination is unlikely to work out long-term.

What if I got a acclimation box and put a divider in it so they were both in it next to each other ? So they’d get used to each other? And would the puffer each the shrimp long term is that what you mean?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What if I got a acclimation box and put a divider in it so they were both in it next to each other ? So they’d get used to each other? And would the puffer each the shrimp long term is that what you mean?
Puffers are specialized invert eaters. I don't think a few days in captivity will undo millions of years of instinct.

falc

If I die today, I die a happy man.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a GSP in a 29g with a Coral Beauty Angel, Red Dragnet and a Ocellaris Clown and they have been together a few years.. I feed the GSP live snails, frozen clams, live adult brine shrimp and dry krill as a treat! He/She has a great personality, my only issue is he will try to carpet surf from time to time so keep a tight fitted top!! I got him from a LFS that had him in fresh water, I increased him up to full salt water (1.026) through weekly water changes .005 at a time. FYI he will rip a peppermint shrimp to shreds in seconds along with crabs (I witnessed this firsthand!!)... He is a butterball, from what I understand they will eat themselves sick so you have to resist feeding every time he acts hungry!

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.9%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back