Green Spotted Pufferfish

Dash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 GSP in a mixed reef. They are the reason I got into saltwater almost 3 years ago. I lost one of the original pair last year (managed to jump out, broke my heart) and adopted another one to replace her. All 3 were drip acclimated over the course of 24 hours. They showed no distress & immediately embraced saltwater life :p

I’ve found their reputation may be a bit exaggerated. Mine have shown zero aggression towards other fish, zero interest in coral. They are intrigued by the hermits/snails but the shells are enough to thwart them. (Much easier to enjoy the seafood mash I feed them.) They are however in love with eating anything related to shellfish/crustaceans so forget about shrimp/clams. A side benefit is that they cleaned out a massive population of vermetid worms.

Anyway, I love these guys. They are different from other fish for sure - so smart! The only ones who make eye contact with me. I wag my finger to keep one away from the nori so the yellow tang gets a chance to eat:D

OP
OP
saltwaterlover

saltwaterlover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 GSP in a mixed reef. They are the reason I got into saltwater almost 3 years ago. I lost one of the original pair last year (managed to jump out, broke my heart) and adopted another one to replace her. All 3 were drip acclimated over the course of 24 hours. They showed no distress & immediately embraced saltwater life :p

I’ve found their reputation may be a bit exaggerated. Mine have shown zero aggression towards other fish, zero interest in coral. They are intrigued by the hermits/snails but the shells are enough to thwart them. (Much easier to enjoy the seafood mash I feed them.) They are however in love with eating anything related to shellfish/crustaceans so forget about shrimp/clams. A side benefit is that they cleaned out a massive population of vermetid worms.

Anyway, I love these guys. They are different from other fish for sure - so smart! The only ones who make eye contact with me. I wag my finger to keep one away from the nori so the yellow tang gets a chance to eat:D

THEY ARE THE CUTEST THING EVERRR EEP

When you say over the course of 24 hours you don't mean drip acclimation for 24 hours? or do you?

Dash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, drip over the course of a day. Much easier than doing multiple water changes. My original pair were from a very low brackish tank (basically freshwater with a bit of aquarium salt;Shy) and my third was in 1.10 salinity at her previous owner’s. There are detailed instructions at The Puffer Forum. The good folks there actually helped me set up my first saltwater aquarium. I have a build thread there about the whole experience. Not sure if I can link that, but it’s under Marine Puffers, entitled “Starting up new tank for my GSPs.” I also have a newer thread about their tankmates.
—————
Maggie

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, drip over the course of a day. Much easier than doing multiple water changes. My original pair were from a very low brackish tank (basically freshwater with a bit of aquarium salt;Shy) and my third was in 1.10 salinity at her previous owner’s. There are detailed instructions at The Puffer Forum. The good folks there actually helped me set up my first saltwater aquarium. I have a build thread there about the whole experience. Not sure if I can link that, but it’s under Marine Puffers, entitled “Starting up new tank for my GSPs.” I also have a newer thread about their tankmates.
—————
Maggie
You can definitely link your build thread here! R2R is all about sharing info to help people succeed.

OP
OP
saltwaterlover

saltwaterlover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
—————
Maggie

Awesome thanks I’ll check it out and ok how are your puffers now after the 24hour acclimation, because you get loads of people say no don’t do it longer then 4 hours and then people like you who say 24 hours[emoji88][emoji23]

Dash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a whole process with the acclimation, ensuring proper aeration & temperature management. Make sure you research & get all the details.

Puff Diddy & Julia’s acclimation to SW will be 3 years this Dec, and Nan joined the tank a year ago after I lost Julia. Their improved health/vitality in saltwater was evident almost immediately. Brighter colours, more active, etc. They’re doing great. Pictures above are quite recent.

(Scroll to page 7 if you want to skip all my newbie setting up a tank stuff:p)
https://www.thepufferforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=35396

Last edited:
OP
OP
saltwaterlover

saltwaterlover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a whole process with the acclimation, ensuring proper aeration & temperature management. Make sure you research & get all the details.

Puff Diddy & Julia’s acclimation to SW will be 3 years this Dec, and Nan joined the tank a year ago after I lost Julia. Their improved health/vitality in saltwater was evident almost immediately. Brighter colours, more active, etc. They’re doing great. Pictures above are quite recent.

That’s so awesome tysm for the help

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hi Maggie, is the Clown goby you have still doing well? I saw it referenced in a 2016 post from that link and someone on there warned that it would have a short life. I was thinking about getting a clown goby eventually (thinking only) and wondered about the cohabitation with a GSP. Thanks

Dash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Maggie, is the Clown goby you have still doing well? I saw it referenced in a 2016 post from that link and someone on there warned that it would have a short life. I was thinking about getting a clown goby eventually (thinking only) and wondered about the cohabitation with a GSP. Thanks

I don’t have a clown goby - I have a Yellow Watchman Goby & shrimp pair. All my fish are doing well (knock on wood). I really think it all depends on how your tank is set up and your GSPs’ temperament. Clown gobies are tiny, but knowing my GSPs, I would love to put them in my tank if they weren’t known to damage acropora. I have introduced fish that were pretty small with no problems. People often express surprise to see my puffers in a mixed environment - I believe it’s due to the space & plentiful food. They seem to have no need for aggression.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 36.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back