OP
Fish Novice

Fish Novice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, its bad photo quality but I will amp the light. If the hammer is bleached, then why should I increase the lighting? Sry I'm new at this just need as much info as possible. (Temp 77.3) (Light: Kessil A80 Max Intensity)
It all started after I did a water change and after the change, everything went down. Algae started growing, GSP dying, idk. Maybe its cause the water we got was different than the water we normally use (we normally use purified and RO from our sink but we used Distilled using RO from the store). My friend, whos a tiny bit more experienced (not much) thinks its the hermits crawling on the GSP all the time (which they have, a lot). This sure is a weird predicament I'm in. :/
  • 2 Clowns
  • 1 Cleaner Shrimp
  • Duncan
  • Hammer
  • GSP
  • 3 Snails (2 died a week ago)
  • 8 Blue Legs (Don't seem to bother snails)
    1601499393711.png

Last edited:

GaryE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an anemone sit on my gsp for a couple of days, no issues.. your hammer is bleaching because your par is too low. The photosynthetic organisms that give it color have baled out. They need light. Same with your gsp.

PXL_20200821_183351273.jpg

Last edited:

KyRo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has it been like this? GSP is weird and will close up sometimes for no reason. Mine was full and randomly closed up and only half would open some days. It's full now, but for a couple weeks it kind of looked ******. I'd just give it some time.

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, its bad photo quality but I will amp the light. If the hammer is bleached, then why should I increase the lighting? Sry I'm new at this just need as much info as possible. (Temp 77.3) (Light: Kessil A80 Max Intensity)
It all started after I did a water change and after the change, everything went down. Algae started growing, GSP dying...................

I suggest you study a bit on saltwater lighting and what it's for. The light you have is a great light for coral, but you're tank is a bit wide the "spread" of your light (Spread meaning how far it will reach from it's center point out) is probably only 6-8 inches for a single Spot Light like that, is that an AI Prime or a tuna Blue?

AI Prime should be good for 12x12 tanks, some people say 12x16 but I don't think much wider than 12x12.

If it's an AI Prime can you show your lighting schedule you have from the App?

Watch this for now and then read and watch more about understanding PAR and aquarium lighting for corals:

that's all tips in the right direction. To much info to personally type out for you :)

OP
OP
Fish Novice

Fish Novice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But I have my lights at max intensity??? Do I have to get better light? The light I have is 200$!!??? I don't really know about this light stuff, The LFS guy said it was the best in stock. Im on a budget build and if this light isn't good enough I'm screwed. About it just being an occurrence, I would think that but some polyps are still out and look really withered almost black. Mind you this happened in 2 days. Final question: I thought bleaching is caused by too much light and/or too much heat. I didn't know its caused by not enough?

Last edited:

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the most informative but good enough, first link on google

"why do corals bleach"

If you just take a bunch of questions you have and go to google and type them in, you'll learn a lot :)

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again maybe it's not the light.

Could be a lot of stuff.

New reefer this is a tough game I'm sorry it just is.

I'd try to put your corals in a more centered position around the center point of the light and see what happens.

Again also getting your own water testing done and your parameters up will help.

Maybe you have no nutrients and you think you do, who knows.

This playlist is great for new reefers

OP
OP
Fish Novice

Fish Novice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the predicament I'm in. I cant put the coral in the center cause there's an arch that goes straight to the powerhead. I think as long as it still has its green color and doesn't shrink ill be ok to an extent. I'll try some coral nutrient solutions to help the hammer. Ive lost almost all hopes on the GSP at this point. So, what are your final opinions on why it's dying? I put it where it's supposed to be and it def has enough flow. This is having me worry more. 60$ for a hammer is a lot for me, really don't wanna lose it. I'll talk to my LFS on this, and if I HAVE to ill try to trade-in the light for a wider one. I have my lights on 8 hours, I'll bump that up a little and see what happens.

You do what you can do, then let nature take its course...

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 38 28.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 19.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back