Green Star Polyp Takeover/Removal

nkyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to remove all the GSP in my tank. I bought everything from a reefer getting out of the hobby. None of the live rock had any coral when I set everything up at home. However, some GSP survived. As you can see in the picture it is on the large rock in the middle. This rock is probably 15 - 20 pounds and would be a real pain to take out. I have removed a portion before, but in 4 weeks it grew back. I've read that I can spread kalkwasser paste on the area and that should kill everything. First, will this work? Secondly, what effect will this have on my tanks parameters (alk, calcium, etc)?

20170701_201323.jpg

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, dont go the Kalk route. its not that effective and yea in concentration it can spike your Alk/PH
GSP is a booger to kill. I made "caps" out of coral putty and glued them on to smother them.
like a pancake and put glue on one side.

OP
OP
nkyreef

nkyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, dont go the Kalk route. its not that effective and yea in concentration it can spike your Alk/PH
GSP is a booger to kill. I made "caps" out of coral putty and glued them on to smother them.
like a pancake and put glue on one side.
What brand of putty do you use/like? I've used AquaStik Epoxy Putty from Two Little Fishies to cover up some colonial hydroids and it doesn't seem to stick very well to the rock. Plus it smells kinda foul lol.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What brand of putty do you use/like? I've used AquaStik Epoxy Putty from Two Little Fishies to cover up some colonial hydroids and it doesn't seem to stick very well to the rock. Plus it smells kinda foul lol.
I use the two little fishies. I use gel superglue. It's the glue that sticks the putty is just kinda binds it and helps it push into the holes.
So make a lil blob and a dollop of glue. Then push it onto the rock.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To remove my GSP I just removed the rock and stuck it in a tub of bleach water. Then cleaned off the rock and soaked in vinegar water to neutralize the bleach.

OP
OP
nkyreef

nkyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
nkyreef

nkyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about covering it as well. Maybe using a cut piece of black plastic with a piece of dry rock to hold it down. Not sure how long it would take to die off with that solution. It's definitely not worth pulling the rock out as it's a main support for the rocks around it.

Peanut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never heard of blue clove polyps before. The article in the forum detailed it's effectiveness. It would make me nervous adding any chemical to the environment. I will definitely be reading up more on this. Thanks for sharing.

I completely understand, I was nervous as well...when I got to the point where I was considering breaking down the entire tank I figured I would give it a shot.

The detail the original author of the article gave of the research he did and the experience was amazing and made me feel a lot better, yet I was still nervous because of the product he was using (crushed dog deworming pills). When I found a source of pure Fenbendazole I felt a little better and I detailed my experience to hopefully help others with the same issue. Since, I have been contacted by a handful of others with the same issue that wanted a packet of Fenbendazole and have dosed their tanks. Other than the polyps of this family and worms, nothing else in my tank was affected. I would recommend this treatment without hesitation to anyone with the issue, it saved my tank and my sanity.

OP
OP
nkyreef

nkyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I went the epoxy (Two Little Fishes Aquastik) route. GSP is some stubborn stuff! In some thin parts of the epoxy it just poked right on thru like flowers in the spring. No big deal I can cover again. However the worst part is I haven't been able to run my skimmer for 3 days because the Aquastik is making it foam like crazy! I changed the carbon in my reactor and attempted to turn it on the next day and still foam. Today I guess I'll do a water change and see if that helps.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well I went the epoxy (Two Little Fishes Aquastik) route. GSP is some stubborn stuff! In some thin parts of the epoxy it just poked right on thru like flowers in the spring. No big deal I can cover again. However the worst part is I haven't been able to run my skimmer for 3 days because the Aquastik is making it foam like crazy! I changed the carbon in my reactor and attempted to turn it on the next day and still foam. Today I guess I'll do a water change and see if that helps.

What works for me is turning the skimmer on the "lowest" settings, least amount of flow and air. Let it run for a while and slowly increase.

thelawnwranglers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody know for a good tool to separate from the rock? Youtube video had what looked like a flat head screw driver? I was trying to get some separation on mine to frag. I want it to take over my back wall.

I got the small BRS tool set- unsure how the scalp sets up or if that would work well

Reefster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[QUOTE="GSP is a booger to kill. I made "caps" out of coral putty and glued them on to smother them.
like a pancake and put glue on one side.[/QUOTE]

That Weird....I Try to Keep it Alive and it Always ends up dying for me....I can never keep it Alive...just like Pulsing Xenia's...No luck keeping them Alive for me!

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have it, but I kept it to one rock and plan on keeping it that way. Lol

hbrochs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed fluke tab which is fenbendazole, it completely eliminated all gsp and Xenia. Would have never been able to get it all out without this.

RickoYoLo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dip the rock in waste water from the RODI unit and will eliminate all gsp and pulsing xenias,,takes about only 15 minute dip

Doubbler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dip the rock in waste water from the RODI unit and will eliminate all gsp and pulsing xenias,,takes about only 15 minute dip
Wouldn't that kill the good bacteria too? Causing a mini cycle

Back