Greetings from Houston, Texas

hayala

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am relatively new on Reef 2 Reef. I am an Aggie alumni with a degree in Marine Biology & have an extensive history working around & with aquatic life, I have just recently started my first saltwater tanks for myself. I have to say it is a totally different experience. Loving it! I own two 55gal saltwater tanks and a 40gal freshwater aquaponics system that grows produce. I have had my aquaponics system for a long time. My oldest of the 2 saltwater tanks is about ready for me to start adding corals (I am a complete newbie when it comes to corals). My newest 55 just got done cycling & I have plans to turn it into a predator tank (mini style). In it have a blue spotted puffer, hawkfish, & 3 velvet damsels thus far. Want to get a dwarf lion & a snowflake eel. Looking for other mini predator fish ideas. Thought about a frogfish or scorpion fish, but want to see how my puffer does with the lion first. I don't want any of my new babies to get nipped at.
My favorite animals are sharks, rays, & octopuses. I hope to own tanks one day that accommodate them. For now diving with them will have to be good enough. Also, curious about ordering animals online. I don't know which sites I can trust to be humane in their treatment of animals before & during the shipping process.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
E2A31244-B04A-48D1-B069-A6FB8E2B9F27.gif

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! Thank you for the introduction. You will find a wide range of opinions about ordering fish online - I have been pleased with the fish that I have ordered from ORA through LiveAquaria.

OP
OP
H

hayala

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any cool mini predator ideas for my 55gal? I have heard a lot of debate about whether a yellow eyed koIe tang will be OK in a 55 with a large refugium + protein skimmer (live rock in the center to provide swimming room). Interested in getting one. Am sure, I will have more questions when I start adding coral to my other tank. Thanks :)

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any cool mini predator ideas for my 55gal? I have heard a lot of debate about whether a yellow eyed koIe tang will be OK in a 55 with a large refugium + protein skimmer (live rock in the center to provide swimming room). Interested in getting one. Am sure, I will have more questions when I start adding coral to my other tank. Thanks :)
Welcome to R2R! Keep an eye on your spotted puffer. Mine was fine for quite awhile and was my favorite fish. It would let me pet it. But then one day it found my LPS corals and did considerable damage. Sad day. It got re-homed. Sad.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 46 53.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.3%
Back