Greetings from Houston, Texas

Elmo Hello GIF by Sesame Street
 
I am relatively new on Reef 2 Reef. I am an Aggie alumni with a degree in Marine Biology & have an extensive history working around & with aquatic life, I have just recently started my first saltwater tanks for myself. I have to say it is a totally different experience. Loving it! I own two 55gal saltwater tanks and a 40gal freshwater aquaponics system that grows produce. I have had my aquaponics system for a long time. My oldest of the 2 saltwater tanks is about ready for me to start adding corals (I am a complete newbie when it comes to corals). My newest 55 just got done cycling & I have plans to turn it into a predator tank (mini style). In it have a blue spotted puffer, hawkfish, & 3 velvet damsels thus far. Want to get a dwarf lion & a snowflake eel. Looking for other mini predator fish ideas. Thought about a frogfish or scorpion fish, but want to see how my puffer does with the lion first. I don't want any of my new babies to get nipped at.
My favorite animals are sharks, rays, & octopuses. I hope to own tanks one day that accommodate them. For now diving with them will have to be good enough. Also, curious about ordering animals online. I don't know which sites I can trust to be humane in their treatment of animals before & during the shipping process.
Just joined myself. I’m in Houston, as well. The best place I’ve found so far for saltwater is ADG. For fresh I go to Aquazoo and ask what they can order if something isn’t in stock. Online is always a gamble, although I’ve had great luck with Liveaquaria. Your mileage may vary.
 
Welcome! Glad you joined. Houston has a very active hobby club scene.

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:
https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/the-supreme-guide-to-setting-up-a-saltwater-reef-aquarium.84/
 
I am relatively new on Reef 2 Reef. I am an Aggie alumni with a degree in Marine Biology & have an extensive history working around & with aquatic life, I have just recently started my first saltwater tanks for myself. I have to say it is a totally different experience. Loving it! I own two 55gal saltwater tanks and a 40gal freshwater aquaponics system that grows produce. I have had my aquaponics system for a long time. My oldest of the 2 saltwater tanks is about ready for me to start adding corals (I am a complete newbie when it comes to corals). My newest 55 just got done cycling & I have plans to turn it into a predator tank (mini style). In it have a blue spotted puffer, hawkfish, & 3 velvet damsels thus far. Want to get a dwarf lion & a snowflake eel. Looking for other mini predator fish ideas. Thought about a frogfish or scorpion fish, but want to see how my puffer does with the lion first. I don't want any of my new babies to get nipped at.
My favorite animals are sharks, rays, & octopuses. I hope to own tanks one day that accommodate them. For now diving with them will have to be good enough. Also, curious about ordering animals online. I don't know which sites I can trust to be humane in their treatment of animals before & during the shipping process.
Welcome to R2R
Welcome to R2R.JPG
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 16 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 25.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new