Greetings From NYC

Stormi2ider

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey Reefers! New to the board here but have poked around here and there over the years. Originally had a DIY 55g long tank with a sump setup about 10 years ago but shut it down after ich from a powder blue wiped everything.
Fast forward to two years ago, decided to pick up the hobby again with the wife’s blessing and something to do during WFH and lockdowns. Due to small nyc apts, started with a well crafted DIY with a 20g display and sump but grew out of that quickly. About 6 months ago, got an amazing deal on a used RSR170 g1 and couldn’t resist. Also this was a perfect chance to get away from DIY and more to a name brand tank. Also splurged and got an Apex controller, since I’m older now and more disposable income. The urge to go bigger will always be there but unfortunately the apt will always keep my in check, along with the wife lol.
So far so good and just re-learning as I go. Mainly euphyllias are my things and some fish but I let the wife make the choices on habitants and I just manage the tank haha. Got some free SPS and thought they wouldn’t survive but seems like they are still going.
Just here to continue learning and also find some upgrades for the tank.
Thanks for reading and happy reefing all!

9B7B8A0F-9134-46C3-9BBB-B515B4644C01.jpeg

Brian Berry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reefers! New to the board here but have poked around here and there over the years. Originally had a DIY 55g long tank with a sump setup about 10 years ago but shut it down after ich from a powder blue wiped everything.
Fast forward to two years ago, decided to pick up the hobby again with the wife’s blessing and something to do during WFH and lockdowns. Due to small nyc apts, started with a well crafted DIY with a 20g display and sump but grew out of that quickly. About 6 months ago, got an amazing deal on a used RSR170 g1 and couldn’t resist. Also this was a perfect chance to get away from DIY and more to a name brand tank. Also splurged and got an Apex controller, since I’m older now and more disposable income. The urge to go bigger will always be there but unfortunately the apt will always keep my in check, along with the wife lol.
So far so good and just re-learning as I go. Mainly euphyllias are my things and some fish but I let the wife make the choices on habitants and I just manage the tank haha. Got some free SPS and thought they wouldn’t survive but seems like they are still going.

Cool !!!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Welcome and Welcome Back to Hobby! Glad you joined. This is a great couples hobby. You both seem well on your way!

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread under Forum > Member Aquariums and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This might help you find people local to you in NYC:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

OP
OP
Stormi2ider

Stormi2ider

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome and Welcome Back to Hobby! Glad you joined. This is a great couples hobby. You both seem well on your way!

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread under Forum > Member Aquariums and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This might help you find people local to you in NYC:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:
Thanks for the kind words and I've considered it but I'm terrible with documenting. Will consider it though!

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 31 40.8%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 39 51.3%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 6 7.9%
Back