OP
Greg P

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the Megaflow, I ran a Herbie with the returns over the top.
Back then I used some waterproof black material as a backdrop. It was a pain to use a magnetic scraper.
I've since replaced it with black plastic corrugated sign material. Great for a Tunze care magnet.
DSC00845.JPG

OP
OP
Greg P

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went through 3 or 4 variations of sump designs/tests before I found what I was happy with ... on the first build :rolleyes: There were more designs and a larger sump on the final/current build !!
I used a 3' 50g
I tried compacting the 4" dual sock area as much as I could with raceways and such, but they overflowed, even at just 500GPH.

DSC00764.JPG

I ended up installing a triple 4" sock tray.
My research told me it would be best after the skimmer as I was trying to run a 'fuge right at the main drains. What a mistake that was. The sump rebuild changed all that in 2016.

Final sump array 2012. I can't believe what a crap show that was. How could I even work in that space!!! And that was in a room ... not under a tank o_O

DSC01316.JPG

The final build ran; drain, skimmer, socks, heaters, trap, return.
Hated the detritus buildup in the skimmer. Next sump build changed everything, including the size of the sump itself.
You'll have to read on to see it.

OP
OP
Greg P

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back in 2012 I was new to all this and started with a not-so-friendly 'scape for SPS. My thoughts back then were like many newbies who want to fill the tank right away.
I also made the mistake of cheaping out with mostly Marco rock. What a mistake that was. I went through so many problems with nuisance algae right up until I tore this first tank down 4 years later in 2016. Every piece of dry rock had algae forever, but the few pieces of LR I used were fine.

DSC01032.JPG
DSC01034.JPG
DSC01035.JPG

OP
OP
Greg P

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
'scape was changed.
In the first 'scape I used acrylic rods. What another waste of time. After that I started using putty and Ecotech coral glue. I used the glue to hold things together while the epoxy set.
This was my first time using coral glue ....... :rolleyes:

DSC01081.JPG

I swapped in more LR hoping the new structures would be more conducive to fish wanting to utilize the whole tank vs hanging out near the bottom.
The more swim-throughs the better, ya?

DSC01083.JPG

First corals !!! I was so excited and nervous at the same time.
There was a local meet/frag swap and I dropped about $150.
Back then the thinking was the smaller the frag the better for your pocket. I've since learned the larger the frag the better the chances of survival - especially for a newb.

DSC01187.JPG

OP
OP
Greg P

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this point I hooked up a leftover canister filter from my FW days.
I ran it on the DT and went after the LR with a fingernail brush. Worked great !!

DSC01372.JPG

OP
OP
Greg P

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to get the fish involved in the build

I don't have a timeline for you all on the additions. Suffice it to say we had every batch of new additions in QT for 10-12 weeks each. Most were only run through hypo salinity as we didn't have any nasties at the LFS back then - just MI.
I had actually never run across either Velvet or Brook until these last 2 years. Then I went through many attempts in QT and even lost most of my DT fish at 1 point.
I'll try to remember to post all that later.

We started off with a couple Pjs, a Bangaii and a false Perc. Yup, we were Newbs :D
The Perc came from a batch which were raised at the Vancouver Aquarium here in B.C. and were available through my LFS.
Still can't believe how tiny all these guys were :)

DSC01137.JPG

McCosker's and Threadfin flasher, Solar fairy and Melanurus Wrasses.
Also purple firefish with both a neon and a redhead goby

DSC02271.JPG

OP
OP
Greg P

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll point out here that at no time did we have more than about 15" of fish in our 75g at 1 time.

Yellow tang, Blueside fairy wrasse, and a schoal of Lyretail anthias.
None of the Anthias made it through QT. I have attempted them 2 more times since 2012 (once in 2016 and once this last spring 2019) and have given up for now.

IMG_1690.JPG

Orange spot goby. Lasted less than 6 months in the DT, even with food injected into the sandbed :(

IMG_1982.JPG

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like many of us, I started off with FW fish. Me was about 45 years ago.
My wife had always ooed and awed about the colors of SW fish over FW, but I couldn't convince myself to spend the $$, and I thought some of my FW guys were pretty cool/nice looking.
Back in Fall of 2011 I thought about alleviating my filtration problems in a 125G with over 120" of fish by adding a sump and larger filters. I then decided if I'm going to punch a hole through the livingroom wall to my office and build a sump for FW, I may as well take the dive and go SW. So it began.

I took the next 5 months and researched/planned/spent/bought my brains out. All of us who have been through this know it's not a financial journey for the faint of heart !!

Anyway, I built a sump room. This is mine currently after many iterations.
PA090013.JPG

I'll post more once I figure out how things work on this site.
Stay posted for more build shots and 1 of my current DT

That's a nice fish room... also a very nice poster on the wall, lol.

OP
OP
Greg P

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starry and red scooter blennies, One spot fox and Yellow eye Kole tang.
Scooter had to be re-homed after about 3 months as he was starving. Foxface was re-homed due to too much poop for our tank.
Kole tang was re-homed because he hated our Starry blennie. Tang pic has the glass covered in snails.

IMG_0756.jpg
IMG_0330.jpg
DSC01308.JPG
DSC01475.JPG

OP
OP
Greg P

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I learned how to dose Randy's 2-part and found my own sources for pure-enough products. I bought containers from a Canadian supplier.

I use 3/16" ridgid tubing with a hole cut in the lid and regular airline tubing to feed my BRS-style dosers. Some are BRS and some are a knock-off from my LFS. I have a total of 7 right now. 4 are on my QT/HT/Observation tank for dosing frags, keeping pH up or whatever.

PB130097.JPG
PB130098.JPG
PB130099.JPG

OP
OP
Greg P

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess what comes to mind now is when my Aqueon Megaflow 75g leaked.
I bought their stand and leveled it until my eyes bled.
4 years after the install I was under the stand 1 night and found some moisture. I traced it backwards to it's origin and found a corner of a seam leaking about 1/8" from the bottom trim.
I stood back, took a few breaths, and then grabbed some paper towels. I confirmed it was coming from the seam and then a million things ran through my mind.
I asked my Wife to come hold a towel against the seam while I decided what to do .... all the while trying to stay calm so she wouldn't freak out about the amount of Saltwater that could potentially end up on the floor ... and all our fishy friends needing a new home !!

OP
OP
Greg P

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We spent the next 6 hours transferring fish and corals into numerous tanks/tubs/buckets etc. Thankfully I had a surplus of heaters and powerheads from my FW days.
Unfortunately, some corals didn't get along with others in the tubs and we lost 50% of the LPS/SPS over the next day.
Over the next week I sold/traded what I could.
We eventually ended up with only a couple save-able corals in the end.
I estimate it was about a $5000.00 loss.

I contacted Aqueon and they sent me a crappy LED fixture for my troubles.
I also received through my LFS a new tank. I sold the tank locally for a profit and used the money to purchase a plain 75g and an overflow box similar to what you can get from stealth overflow, or whatever their name is.

OP
OP
Greg P

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lost colonies

This which my friend thought when he sold it to me was an acan

DSC01760.JPG

Turned out to be some kind of Favites or Favia
Was over 200 heads at last count before the loss

DSC02862.JPG

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 43 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back