Grim Reaper Torch

Boardn365

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had success growing a colony of Grim Reaper. I just lost mine and trying to figure out what happened. Want to get another one but want to make sure I can keep it alive this time. It was doing good and then I adjusted my lights and couldn't seem to find a happy spot. From what I understand this is an old school torch and don't see it around much so wondering if others had trouble keeping it.

Here are some pictures before I lost it.
20200731_155647.jpg
20200731_155650.jpg
20200730_195842.jpg

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of moving them around a lot to find a happy place, find a good spot and then leave it there. It will acclimate and de-stress. Constantly moving just adds more stress.

how are your water parameters? Torches enjoy nutrients (commonly found near the mouths of rivers).

klownfizh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of moving them around a lot to find a happy place, find a good spot and then leave it there. It will acclimate and de-stress. Constantly moving just adds more stress.

how are your water parameters? Torches enjoy nutrients (commonly found near the mouths of rivers).

Best advice right there for newly added torches. I usually leave my torches alone for about 2 months to see if they are happy then move it elsewhere if it looks unhappy.

OP
OP
B

Boardn365

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had it in the one spot for 3 months. Then when I turned up the lights started having some Euphylia issues. Tried moving to lower light which worked for some of my other torches. But I lost a few one at a time and this was the most recent victim.

OP
OP
B

Boardn365

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mostly wondering why this is one that isn't available very often. I think it's an amazing torch. The contrast of half purple half green is truly stunning. But it seems that not many people have it any more.

klownfizh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mostly wondering why this is one that isn't available very often. I think it's an amazing torch. The contrast of half purple half green is truly stunning. But it seems that not many people have it any more.

To me it seems like the "Torch Coral" was a big hype for a while and names got super crazy. On a local facebook group i saw alot of people naming a Indo gold as a Grim Reaper, "Ultra Torch" etc. When the wave of the torch hype got around it got confusing lol.

Arthacker87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lower light, decent flow, as everyone is stating. As long as it is opening and trying to strive leave her b. Sometimes there's just off weeks. And also they like some nutrients so maybe direct feeding roids or plankton

RVA REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you said it was doing good before you adjusted your lights, Im guessing thats your problem? The euphyllia coral next to it looks bleached too

OP
OP
B

Boardn365

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me it seems like the "Torch Coral" was a big hype for a while and names got super crazy. On a local facebook group i saw alot of people naming a Indo gold as a Grim Reaper, "Ultra Torch" etc. When the wave of the torch hype got around it got confusing lol.

I agree that the name game makes it confusing. This one is just purple and green aussie. A lot of purple with green tips get called the same but this one is different. Dont care too much about the name looking for aussie half purple half green.

Pharmasqueek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey so I know it's so hard to tell with different lighting, but I'm looking for a grim reaper that looks just like this. In the picture it honestly looks like it's half purple fading into a teal color, but I imagine it's actually a light green color. What were the actual colors on this torch before you unfortunately lost it? Do you have any pictures of it under whites before you lost it?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 72 38.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back