Grouper tankmates?

hrdneglcry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is actually a problem with a Bluejaw Trigger male bullying a 4-5" Vtail grouper. They have been tankmates for many months. I kept an Argus Grouper with many Triggers without problems but he was 9". I was looking for what I can outnput in there to help. This grouper is not mean. I have a pair of Bluejaw in with him. I ciuld get a Picasso Trigger but I worry that would be worse. I don't want something that gets ich easily and my tank is a 48" 120g. So I can't really have a sailfin tang or a large foxface. The grouper is my favorite. The bluejaw is nice looking and a decent size. I have another pair in another tank. They were supposed to be two females. The Bluejaws aren't that nice. I had bad luck keeping one with multiple Triggers in the past so I was happy to get one that is doing well. He will beat up the other male and his female will beat up the other female. I had them together when I thought I had 3 females. My Argus years ago died of Ich that I didn't catch in time. He was terrified if a large Tess Eel I had put with him in a 180. But I found the issue too late.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This is actually a problem with a Bluejaw Trigger male bullying a 4-5" Vtail grouper. They have been tankmates for many months. I kept an Argus Grouper with many Triggers without problems but he was 9". I was looking for what I can outnput in there to help. This grouper is not mean. I have a pair of Bluejaw in with him. I ciuld get a Picasso Trigger but I worry that would be worse. I don't want something that gets ich easily and my tank is a 48" 120g. So I can't really have a sailfin tang or a large foxface. The grouper is my favorite. The bluejaw is nice looking and a decent size. I have another pair in another tank. They were supposed to be two females. The Bluejaws aren't that nice. I had bad luck keeping one with multiple Triggers in the past so I was happy to get one that is doing well. He will beat up the other male and his female will beat up the other female. I had them together when I thought I had 3 females. My Argus years ago died of Ich that I didn't catch in time. He was terrified if a large Tess Eel I had put with him in a 180. But I found the issue too late.
Blue jaw generally good natured.
I would isolate in an acclimation box for a week or two. Vtail will grow to be larger than blue Jaw.

OP
OP
H

hrdneglcry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would love to see a photo of the Bluejaw and the Grouper as to relative size; both sound like beautiful fish. :)
B3618D50-ADEB-4726-9B78-95575F0F0A89.jpeg

here are the three of them a few months ago

OP
OP
H

hrdneglcry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All fish are different. I had a Pinktail Triggerfish. Was about 6". At the same time had a 6" Fuscus Trigger, a Clown Trigger, and a 5" Queen Trigger. The Pinktail abused them all. I had to separate him. Queens and Fuscus are suppose to be terrible. I also had an Undulated at that time. The Pinktail ran the whole show. And they are supposed to be nice.

OP
OP
H

hrdneglcry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Pinktails are like mother-in-laws?… you just have to hope you don’t get an especially mean one? ;)
Their personalities differ. My BluJaw is a jerk. He came from a big tank and that may be why. He bullies the grouper. He wouldn't allow the other male. The first one I tried to keep in 2005 died. He was with other triggers. Mean ones. I had a Sargassum, same thing.

Back