Grow your own reef food! Do you have a DIY culture station?

Do you have a DIY culture station?

• Yes, I currently grow my own reef food.

Votes: 59 17.5%
  • No, but I have grown my own reef food in the past.

Votes: 32 9.5%
  • No, but I am interested in growing my own reef food in the future.

Votes: 134 39.8%
  • No, I have no plans to grow my own reef food.

Votes: 108 32.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.2%

• Total voters

Jeremy_d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lovely... does the tigriopus and tisbes there compete? I would like to culture tigriopus due to their size but I've already got tisbes in and I don't have any transparent vases left. Galaxy sounds like the same deal as phyto - feast, except with copepods.
I’ll be honest, the algae is so thick on the glass I can’t see much, and I can’t really recognize the different kinds of the smaller ones but I do know what the Tig pods look like and they are everywhere, but they are also the first ones to get eaten when I add them to my display. Almost immediately actually. My clowns tear them up

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll be honest, the algae is so thick on the glass I can’t see much, and I can’t really recognize the different kinds of the smaller ones but I do know what the Tig pods look like and they are everywhere, but they are also the first ones to get eaten when I add them to my display. Almost immediately actually. My clowns tear them up
nice. Waiting for the biofilm to grow... fed some mysis last night to keep up nutrients.

Daveobrien

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hatched baby brine shrimp daily for 6 months, to feed some fry.
I've grown five 1 gallon jars of phyto (nanno and tetra), for a little over two years
I've grown two 1 gallon jars of pods (tigri and tisbe), for a little over two years

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I just recently started tto grow phyto, and plan on starting pods also. @Reef By Steele has helped me out alot. He's got his own setup growing all kinds of phyto and pods.
3277575-faac5c816db8e6b5d1c4a8d5ee3ac233.jpg
3277551-1adaf53770f542fed90f5403ccb6e567.jpg
20231006_104246_HDR.jpg
Hey thanks for the shout out. We really appreciate it.

These are the kits I have been telling you about.

Ha forgot to paste lol.

Last edited:

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I run live brine because of my Sally project. I don't know if that counts but every tank gets live brine shrimp daily. No other live foods.

Brine shrimp culture for dummies like me:
scoop out a cup of tank water, put in shrimp eggs, there you go you just grew live food for your tank.

Maybe people who actually understand this stuff will see this, why doesn't tossing shrimp eggs into my sump work?
My guess would be that the nauplii are to weak to survive the currents as they hatch in stagnant vessels. Do you feed the nauplii right after hatch or are you letting them grow first?

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I have a phyto reactor and occasionally will hatch brine shrimp. I think it would be awesome to have a mysis tank for fresh food as well.
I’ve been looking into the mysis, but more setup needed as the adults will eat the nauplii before the reach maturity. I’m trying some different tank set ups to see if I can culture them long term.

Stealthreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess would be that the nauplii are to weak to survive the currents as they hatch in stagnant vessels. Do you feed the nauplii right after hatch or are you letting them grow first?
They eat biofilm or algae on the container. They only get fed if I hatch too many and that doesn't happen much anymore.

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I’m going to try and grow “out” Brine Shrimp! Babies are to small, my fish can’t see
Pods would be a better choice. Adult brine shrimp lack a lot of nutrient value. Really have to “gut load” them for them to be a good food source. Freshly hatched they are super good for raising fry like my baby clowns (that’s how all this got started lol). First rotifer, then baby brine, then started culturing phyto for the rotifers then pods now, wow what a trip.

To “gut load” them you need to put them in nice rich phytoplankton for a while before feeding. You can also add the brine and some Selcon to a measuring cup for an hour and then feed. They will gain nutritional value from the Selcon.

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
i seed my tank every few months with copepods from @AlgaeBarn. i would like to believe i am "growing" or culturing them in my sump during the months i don't dose/seed.
Regular dosing should establish colonies in your refugium and DT, depending on the tank. Having lots of “Pod Hunters” Mandarins, Anthias, some Wrasses etc can keep the populations pretty low. We love those fish and that is a main reason I started doing my own. Also dosing with live phytoplankton really helps them to reproduce.

This is my phyto station.
IMG_6267.jpeg

Debramb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pods would be a better choice. Adult brine shrimp lack a lot of nutrient value. Really have to “gut load” them for them to be a good food source. Freshly hatched they are super good for raising fry like my baby clowns (that’s how all this got started lol). First rotifer, then baby brine, then started culturing phyto for the rotifers then pods now, wow what a trip.

To “gut load” them you need to put them in nice rich phytoplankton for a while before feeding. You can also add the brine and some Selcon to a measuring cup for an hour and then feed. They will gain nutritional value from the Selcon.
We’ll I already have Your phyto!! BTW, my release went great, gave them no protein skimmer or filters for 6 hours!

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Oh and does anyone know if having the skimmer right next to copepods in the sump will just completely remove the population? My sump isn't big enough for a standard fuge and the only compartments wide enough to accomodate LR and chaeto is either the return compartment or the skimmer compartment.
Best to have them after the skimmer if possible. Same area might be ok if flow can pull them away instead of into skimmer. They will establish in your main DT in the rocks if seeded and fed properly.

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Well I already have Your phyto!! BTW, my release went great, gave them no protein skimmer or filters for 6 hours!
Yes and thank you. Just didn’t know if you knew to let the brine soak up some phyto.

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
They eat biofilm or algae on the container. They only get fed if I hatch too many and that doesn't happen much anymore.
Yes the nauplii are very nutrient rich. I think for 24-48 hours maybe, if I remember what I learned when I started them for raising clownfish.

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I used tank water instead of fresh saltwater for the tisbe... guess we'll see how that turns out. They're pretty big so I don't think anything is predating on them. Dosed a crap ton of phyto on day 1 and I'm planning to just go with a few drops daily since Phyto - feast is some concentrated stuff.
Yes phyto feast really needs to be fed in a manner that they consume it within a couple of hours as it is dead and can cause ammonia spikes. I used it for my rotifers and it is a great product. They include an ammonia reducer in it.
That is one reason I switched to live phyto as much less likely to overdose.

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best to have them after the skimmer if possible. Same area might be ok if flow can pull them away instead of into skimmer. They will establish in your main DT in the rocks if seeded and fed properly.
Ahead unfortunately, the skimmers are the last stage before bioballs and nothing can go into the bioballs.They're in a basket though, not sure how much that helps.

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes phyto feast really needs to be fed in a manner that they consume it within a couple of hours as it is dead and can cause ammonia spikes. I used it for my rotifers and it is a great product. They include an ammonia reducer in it.
That is one reason I switched to live phyto as much less likely to overdose.
actually it's live phyto feast. Got it to start a culture.

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
actually it's live phyto feast. Got it to start a culture.
Ok, but you may experience difficulties with that. Culturing multiple strains of phyto generally leads to one out competing all the rest. Most likely you will end up with Nanno or tetra.

That’s what I was going to do when I started, but found this info when I started asking around.

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, but you may experience difficulties with that. Culturing multiple strains of phyto generally leads to one out competing all the rest. Most likely you will end up with Nanno or tetra.

That’s what I was going to do when I started, but found this info when I started asking around.
That's fine, I wasn't working for a multistrain culture anyways. There isn't any other live phyto product available in my area other than what comes with the pods.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back