Growing brine shrimp

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although it's not as prolific as rotifers, brine shrimp multiplies pretty quickly to my surprise. I started with just a dozen adult brine which turned into this in a month or so. I feed a 1/4 tsp of whole wheat flour and dry spirulina powder (50/50 mix) with just a few granules of baker's yeast. I have been feeding my fish with a small amount of the shrimp, but the shrimp seems to be producing at a similar rate.

KMDnc%xSQAeaOUbLSC5%fw.jpg

Last edited:

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use S.presso and Algamac 3050 for enrichment of naups and get some good results as well.

OP
OP
Tomoko Schum

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is just a fun experiment for me right now, but the benefit of live food is that fish eats them before they die and decay. Adult live brine shrimp is not high on lipid but high on protein. They often triggered spawning among my fish in the past.

OP
OP
Tomoko Schum

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They often come on live rocks. I used to have them in my fuge as well. Then, I had to restart my tank two years ago when I moved and gave a chlorine and acid treatment to my rocks to clean them. I no longer have any mysids in my fuge. I miss them. I am sure my mandarin does, too.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back