Growing brine shrimp

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 26, 2006
Messages
2,079
Reaction score
324
Location
Madison, AL
What state or country do you live in
Alabama
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although it's not as prolific as rotifers, brine shrimp multiplies pretty quickly to my surprise. I started with just a dozen adult brine which turned into this in a month or so. I feed a 1/4 tsp of whole wheat flour and dry spirulina powder (50/50 mix) with just a few granules of baker's yeast. I have been feeding my fish with a small amount of the shrimp, but the shrimp seems to be producing at a similar rate.

KMDnc%xSQAeaOUbLSC5%fw.jpg
 
Last edited:
I use S.presso and Algamac 3050 for enrichment of naups and get some good results as well.
 
This is just a fun experiment for me right now, but the benefit of live food is that fish eats them before they die and decay. Adult live brine shrimp is not high on lipid but high on protein. They often triggered spawning among my fish in the past.
 
It sure is incredible! I tried to replicate it by throwing a bunch of brine shrimp into my fuge with Chaetomorpha, but they just disappeared. I don’t know how they survive in there with very little food input.
 
They often come on live rocks. I used to have them in my fuge as well. Then, I had to restart my tank two years ago when I moved and gave a chlorine and acid treatment to my rocks to clean them. I no longer have any mysids in my fuge. I miss them. I am sure my mandarin does, too.
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 16 48.5%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 15 45.5%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 24.2%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new