Growing Copepods w/ Ocean Magik

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I setup a DIY copepod culture to try to keep a supply of pods around to dose my new tank. I have a 2 Liter Erlenmeyer flask w/stopper hooked up to a air pump. I added a jar of Tig pods f/algae barn and have added some ocean magik to tint the water.

My water is not quite as dark as some of the videos/pictures I've seen. It seems like I would need to add the whole bottle of ocean magik to get it that dark. Has anyone fed with ocean magik before? How much do you add and what size container are you using?

I didn't realize it would need that much volume of ocean magik. The videos online seem like they just add a splash of phyto. Now I am considering trying to culture the phyto too because I don't really want to keep having to order OceanMagik. I don't have a NEED for copepods (ie. mandarin), I just thought it would be a fun side project while my tank is getting established. But I also don't want to it to become an expensive chore.

Any tips before I sink more money & time into this? Anything more convenient/cheaper to feed the pods w/o having to grow phyto?

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oceanmagik is a combo of 4 different strains of phyto; Nano, Iso, Tet, and Thal

Together in a bottle they can not be cultured like brewing it under a light bc each strain has its own needs.

At Algae Barn they cultivate all 4 strain completely separately and bottle it. That gets expensive

If you want DARK GREEN PHYTO....
I suggest you pick either Tetraselmis or Nannochloropsus to brew yourself. Then feed your Pods your brew

Last edited:
OP
OP
trevorhiller

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oceanmagik is a combo of 4 different strains of phyto; Nano, Iso, Tet, and Thal

Together in a bottle they can not be cultured like brewing it under a light bc each strain has its own needs.

At Algae Barn they cultivate all 4 strain completely separately and bottle it. That gets expensive

If you want DARK GREEN PHYTO....
I suggest you pick either Tetraselmis or Nannochloropsus to brew yourself. Then feed your Pods your brew
Thank you, I didn't realize there were different species in there. I am ok with it being less dark, I just don't know how to dose it for feeding the pods then since everyone seems to dose according to color.

Perhaps I'll look into culturing, but if anyone feeds oceanmagik, I'd love to hear how much you add and to what volume.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 18.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 41 51.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back