Growing hole in GSP

UnnamedReef

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 29, 2023
Messages
236
Reaction score
136
Location
Connecticut
What state or country do you live in
Connecticut
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've had a small GSP frag for about 6 months that recently started to take off. It gets ~150 PAR and direct flow. Parameters are:

Alk: 9
Calc: 450
Mg: 1290
N03: 13
P04: .18

Testing with Hanna every couple days and Trident 4x daily as normal. All other coral are doing OK, except a torch that seems to have some flatworms but it's nowhere near the GSPs and I'm treating effectively with Revive.

About 2 months ago during feeding (all pumps off, water still) I target fed my GSP and walked away. I came back and there was a "wisp" of sorts above the center of the frag, the same color as the GSP. My very non-reef safe hermit crab was in the vicinity, so I chalked it up to his deviance and removed him from the tank. The colored wisp blew away when the pumps were turned back on.

The next day the polyps in that small section were damaged and didn't come out, leaving a very small hole in the frag. The hole has now grown, and there was a hole in the rock beneath that I searched for pests (unsuccessfully) and sealed up with super glue. The hole continues to grow, and the mat is receding outward from that initial point. The GSPs are making good progress on the sides, covering the rock. Photos are in the morning with the coral closed, but it opens nicely during the light cycle.

Why would the coral recede in the center but otherwise show healthy progress outwards? I think I need to do a Revive and maybe Lugols dip, but since the frag has encrusted that is challenging. Will it peel off, or tear? What's the best way to remove the encrusted coral on a large rock for a dip?

PXL_20250112_101710152.jpg PXL_20250112_101720879.jpg
 
A literal hole in the rock? As in a potential burrow for something? Fill it with epoxy or super glue.
 
Yes it was a hole. I filled it with glue already, but the erosion of the GSP has continued. Over the week it grew more leftward as well, still receding around the closed hole and extending in other areas. Strange
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new