Growing Phyto - how long to bubble for and color

therootcause

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I just started cultures of phytoplankton and actually just did my first split and 1 is still going but the other split looks brownish after one day I have a feeling it has crashed anyone else ever have this happen? I tried more f2 and there has been no change for 2 days. But there is gunk on bottom of jars.

The three on the left look dead unless they are isochrysis. What strains are you working with?

marinebreeders

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@marinebreeders and @Mr. Mojo Rising I'd like to share what I've grow with s $2 shop lightbulb or a harbor freight LED white light since 2020. I've also used a grow light with success!

When I first started I had it near our sliding glass door and with natural sunlight the cultures were so dark they looked black! It was harder for me to control temperature this way but it was fun and the density change in the cells was noticeable from sunrise to sunset.

I had the most success with a $2 60W shop light but for temperature control the heated water bath in a cooler worked the best.

Good luck guys.

1697288474825.png

1697288157798.png

1697288243484.png

1697288319593.png
Wow that looks awesome, I am not producing as much mainly because I don't the demand. But, it is a process I enjoy.

I am actually going to set a new experiment...not sure if it is has been done already on here. But I am going to add CO2 to see if I can get faster results. This way we don't have to wait the 7-10 days. Pretty cool if I can cut it down the time... by how much... I don't know yet lol

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 61 39.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 44 28.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back