Growing phyto with sunlight?

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got some phyto - feast to feed my cope culture with and thought I would start a phyto culture with it. now I know that phyto - feast isn't the best starter due to strain competition, but my lfs sells literally only this brand of phyto. Will they grow ok on raw sunlight? I don't have leds or space to spare so I rinsed out a vase and hooked it to an airline on the windowsill, not sure if this will suffice or do I need an actual grow light.

Kmst80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got some phyto - feast to feed my cope culture with and thought I would start a phyto culture with it. now I know that phyto - feast isn't the best starter due to strain competition, but my lfs sells literally only this brand of phyto. Will they grow ok on raw sunlight? I don't have leds or space to spare so I rinsed out a vase and hooked it to an airline on the windowsill, not sure if this will suffice or do I need an actual grow light.
Absolutely. I had my culture on a windowsill for half a year before I had to move it and put a desk lamp with a daylight lightbulb on it.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it regular Phyto Feast or Phyto Feast Live? The first is not alive...

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely. I had my culture on a windowsill for half a year before I had to move it and put a desk lamp with a daylight lightbulb on it.
based.
When my homies languished with their succulents, I studied the phyto.
(not gonna lie, this will make a kickass table plant.)

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh by the way, did you ever use liquid fertilizers? I've seen people use miracle grow on phyto, although not certain if that is completely necessary or if I can just feed the vase every once in a while.

Kmst80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh by the way, did you ever use liquid fertilizers? I've seen people use miracle grow on phyto, although not certain if that is completely necessary or if I can just feed the vase every once in a while.
I started with miracle grow but it is high in phosphate. These days I use Tnc complete, much less phosphate in that. Only dose 1nml per liter of phyto once a week and I harvest a third a week.

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with miracle grow but it is high in phosphate. These days I use Tnc complete, much less phosphate in that. Only dose 1nml per liter of phyto once a week and I harvest a third a week.
Awesome, thanks. Guess garden store is on the visit list tomorrow.

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two 2000ml beakers of phyto growing in front of a window and they do great. In addition to an air pump for oxygen and circulation, you will need to have some sort of fertilizer for the phyto to grow well. Best practice is to use F/2. That is sold by most of the phyto suppliers and can even be found on Amazon.

Alexraptor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will phyto grow ok in sunlight? Why yes... yes it will.

P_20230812_151018.jpg

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two 2000ml beakers of phyto growing in front of a window and they do great. In addition to an air pump for oxygen and circulation, you will need to have some sort of fertilizer for the phyto to grow well. Best practice is to use F/2. That is sold by most of the phyto suppliers and can even be found on Amazon.
this the right stuff?
Close enough to my lfs that I can pick up pretty much.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this the right stuff?
Close enough to my lfs that I can pick up pretty much.
Yes! some is better than others. It is best practice to keep an eye on your nutrient levels while using a product based on the original.
Also... window sill. this window is covered in a film you can get at hardware box stores or amazon
IMG_0617.jpeg

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just received a 32oz jug of phyto feast from reef nutrition today. The shipping was almost as much as the phyto, but I didn't want to chance getting 4 month old product from BRS. To be honest, you don't need to culture phyto to raise pods. I have 4x 1.5g cultures of 3 different pods going. I took a 1ml syringe of phyto feast and dropped about 5 drops in each one. That is all it takes. This bottle will last me 6 months. I do culture iso and tetra but that is going to be used to dose the tank only. You have to be careful with phyto feast. Follow the directions. If you don't, you will crash your culture. Just add a few drops and it will settle on the bottom. If the pods don't eat everything you dosed within 5 minutes you dosed too much. Best results are to feed 3 times a day.

Reef Nutrition threw in 2x bottles of Tigger Pods as a bonus. They are shipped with dry ice so make sure to open the lid and let the cultures come up to room temperature before placing in a culture. If they are going into the tank, float the bottle in the sump until it reaches tank temperature. Pods are very temperature sensitive and it will kill them if you don't acclimate to temperature.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.2%
Back