Grunts in home aquaria

Catnip885

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My husband is considering getting a trio of grunts for his 8' 240 gallon tank. We were looking at sourcing captive bred juveniles, but don't seem to be able to find any retailers for captive bred French grunts, smallmouth grunts, or cottonwick grunts. Does anyone know of any sellers that regularly have them in stock?

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Foxy Tropicals AKA Mysaltwaterfishstore.com and Carribean Tropicals usually carry an assortment of grunts.

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hold up. They must have added the "GULF SPECIMEN MARINE LAB DOES NOT PROVIDE ANIMALS TO PRIVATE INDIVIDUALS" notice recently. Sorry, I never saw it on the website before.

Wow that is new, I referred them to 2 separate hobbyist just a few months ago, and they placed orders and received fish.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i got cotton wick grunts from Foxy, very healthy and eat great. Was very pleased with ordering from them. Fight like crazy though in a 360 so be careful
IMG_7136.jpeg
IMG_7134.jpeg
IMG_7135.jpeg

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hold up. They must have added the "GULF SPECIMEN MARINE LAB DOES NOT PROVIDE ANIMALS TO PRIVATE INDIVIDUALS" notice recently. Sorry, I never saw it on the website before.
Wow that is new, I referred them to 2 separate hobbyist just a few months ago, and they placed orders and received fish.
Is purchasing as an individual still possible? their fish are really cheap and their crab collection is amazing...
or is there another marine specimen distributor I can buy cool stuff from?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is purchasing as an individual still possible? their fish are really cheap and their crab collection is amazing...
or is there another marine specimen distributor I can buy cool stuff from?

I don't know, send them an email and ask. That statement about only selling to institutions is new. I've known many individuals purchase from them over the years.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have two separate pages about placing orders; one page used to say no individuals while the other did not (it confused me too- I had only seen the one that didn’t state no individuals).

It looks like they’ve changed it no individuals on both pages now though:
Edit: Both URL’s above are different, and they have different fonts for the “does not sell to individuals” paragraph on each page.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back