G's Aquarium

Grant_J

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 4, 2025
Messages
39
Reaction score
49
Location
La Vergne
What state or country do you live in
Tennessee
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I'm new to reefing and posting a new-used aquarium setup I got from Facebook. It looked good, but when I got onsite it was a little neglected and had algae growth and hadn't been cleaned recently. Against better judgment I bought it anyway and decided to adopt the goobers inside. So here are a couple of pics and a description of the start of the journey:

Tank: Acrylic 125 Gal.
Sump: Yes (30ish gallons)
Stand: Homemade
Equipment: Reef Mat, Skimmer, UV light, pump, lights
Inside: A TON of sand, too many rocks, algae, a puffer and a longnose cowfish

Pictures at pickup and after setup attached. The left one is half the tank, I was worried about system setup for rebuild, not memories...but you get the idea.

Looking forward to sharing progress and hearing your advice on the way!

6E1C58A5-79D3-468B-9E8A-423FD55807F6.jpeg IMG_6362.jpg
 
Congratulations on the new adventure! The bad news is that you just inherited someone else problems. The good news is that you have come to the right place to get help and your learning curve will likely happen much quicker than if you eased into a sterile system that hadn't been cycled. Your situation and approach is very doable (even though it may not always feel like it).
 
Ok, a short update on this build. I was having trouble getting the water levels right with these two large fish in a long under-served situation with no cleanup crew. Time for a fresh start. I traded in the puffer and cowfish to the LFS who will no doubt have them a new loving home. With the store credit I picked up a couple of beautiful little Frostbite Clownfish. This is the best pic I could get since they move around so fast! The tank quickly started to normalize so I'm looking at adding to it this coming week after vacation.

Clowns.jpg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 24.1%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 24.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new