GSP/Aiptasia

WhySoSeriousDory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had the owner at my lfs go grab some gsp from one of his clients and he was able to get me some rock as well. I did not do a dip because I wanted all the critters with the rock. I don’t want aiptasia all over but I’d like some input on this. Also kept it away from everything else for now. See pic

649644F7-34D8-4652-A594-A8E371E8ADED.jpeg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thoughts were always the good hitchhikers outweigh the bad. Aiptasia can be taken care of with a shot of lemon juice, some superglue or a meal for a peppermint shrimp.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had the owner at my lfs go grab some gsp from one of his clients and he was able to get me some rock as well. I did not do a dip because I wanted all the critters with the rock. I don’t want aiptasia all over but I’d like some input on this. Also kept it away from everything else for now. See pic

I see a few aip, at least the right side of the pic looks to have a few mixed in with the gsp.

Great thing is, it is isolated.

You can take the rock out, put in a Tupperware container, take a syringe with lemon juice or kalk washer mixed to a paste and inject it directly into the aiptaisa. They will install melt.

You can also do this without the tub if you do not have a syringe. Kalk paste spread over the aiptasia and let it sit 3-4 minutes. Rinse in a tub with some tank water.

The latter may damage a little of the gsp, but it will rebound fine.

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Aptasia is nearly unavoidable, but can be managed as long as you address it early. Its not gonna grow on gsp, but it could be attached to a spot on the rock. AptasiaX works well for me.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yea.... could be. Good eye. Just pull it and superglue over that spot IMO.
Forgot the super glue lol.

For that whole side, it could be fully covered with a tube and that side be placed on the sand bed. Again, it may get on a few gsp pores, but they will rebound and grow over it with no issues.

OP
OP
W

WhySoSeriousDory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I was super excited to throw it in there . Peppermint shrimp will be my next move ! Thanks
My thoughts were always the good hitchhikers outweigh the bad. Aiptasia can be taken care of with a shot of lemon juice, some superglue or a meal for a peppermint shrimp.

OP
OP
W

WhySoSeriousDory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see a few aip, at least the right side of the pic looks to have a few mixed in with the gsp.

You can take the rock out, put in a Tupperware container, take a syringe with lemon juice or kalk washer mixed to a paste and inject it directly into the aiptaisa. They will install melt.

You can also do this without the tub if you do not have a syringe. Kalk paste spread over the aiptasia and let it sit 3-4 minutes. Rinse in a tub with some tank water.

Ok yea I think I’ll give that a try .

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to go pull it now and do some surgery
Whatever you do, be sure to rinse and swish it around in tank water out of the tank. This should wash away and spores they may release if stressed.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’m not surprised your called Eagle Steve, because youve got eyesight like an eagle to spot that,(or maybe I’m just old!) well done!

Your either an eagle, or a special forces sniper or something! Lol

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not surprised your called Eagle Steve, because youve got eyesight like an eagle to spot that,(or maybe I’m just old!) well done!

Your either an eagle, or a special forces sniper or something! Lol
Lol. Old as well, but you got SF right lol. Retired Recon Marine. My eyes are about the only thing not metal, arthritic or just plain wore out lol.

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It'll get to your tank eventually, there are many ways to control. Complete elimination is impossible and unnecessary IMO. You may try to be very careful and seal up all the visible heads, but the truth of the matter is, if yiu even miss a single little piece, or if there very small heads hiding in a crevice somewhere,, a few months later it will grow out.

I used F aip to kill them with good results but after a few months I'd get another head popup on the rocks. Now I just view it as a part of the tank biome and let it grow out. When the number get high enough to sustain a pep I'll go get one. (Last time made the mistake of getting one too soon that ended up starving after it killed all of the aip. )

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 128 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back