OP
OP
J

jazreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GSP likes to pout. It will grow in just about any conditions though it's something of a myth that it's indestructible - it's still coral. It's incredibly sensitive as far as animals go just less so than other corals.

Anyway this is counter-intuitive but put the flow on it and stop scrubbing algae off it.
Ok thank you!

OP
OP
J

jazreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For middle of the ground, check out AI blades or Orphek bars: https://amzn.to/48FSUYw . For a budget option, check out Noopsyche: https://noopsychereeflight.com/
Sorry, what do you mean by middle of the ground? Also, on that second link it seems like the lights are smaller. Would any of them be suitable for a 65g? I saw …

NooPsyche K7 PRO III kit with arm bracket​

… this seemed to be a bigger one

crewsfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that looks amazing!! I’m hoping mine makes a recovery !
It will. Mine did the same and one day just took off. They are definitely thicker where the light reaches them.

Attachments

• 17056748373942287838928747225636.jpg
    17056748373942287838928747225636.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 52

jandin101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a GSP Colony that I bought that looked sickly and was closed up for weeks. It recovered, but it took well over a couple of months.

Here are some pics.

Picture 1: When it first started opening up, about 2 weeks after I bought the colony. there is a smaller, healthier looking frag above it for reference.
GSP Colony 1.jpg

Picture 2: The colony currently. About a year later. It spread so fast that it got onto the rock and started to overwhelm the smaller frag. Most of that green is the bigger colony that spread to the main rockwork. My phone's camera really struggles to render the blue light but it picks up that green real good.
GSP colony 2.jpg

OP
OP
J

jazreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a GSP Colony that I bought that looked sickly and was closed up for weeks. It recovered, but it took well over a couple of months.

Here are some pics.

Picture 1: When it first started opening up, about 2 weeks after I bought the colony. there is a smaller, healthier looking frag above it for reference.
GSP Colony 1.jpg

Picture 2: The colony currently. About a year later. It spread so fast that it got onto the rock and started to overwhelm the smaller frag. Most of that green is the bigger colony that spread to the main rockwork. My phone's camera really struggles to render the blue light but it picks up that green real good.
GSP colony 2.jpg
Wow that looks great!! You have a nice set up, hoping mine ends up looking like that!

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, what do you mean by middle of the ground? Also, on that second link it seems like the lights are smaller. Would any of them be suitable for a 65g? I saw …

NooPsyche K7 PRO III kit with arm bracket​

… this seemed to be a bigger one
By middle ground I mean pricing. Is your tank 36x18x24?

jandin101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see in the discussion that your lights might be questionable. Do you have the fluval marine lights? I heard they're not super powerful. If you want to know for sure though, you'd need to rent a PAR meter.

I'm relatively new to the hobby and run my tanks (The 20gal Waterbox that you see in the pics and a Reefer 300XL) on a budget. I would say look around for some used Kessils, Reef LEDs or anything of that like on Facebook Marketplace. There's plenty of people who buy equipment getting into the hobby and then decide it's not for them, and sell it lightly used for half price or cheaper if you're willing to pick up. Just as good, if you find an experienced reefer who is upgrading or changing their systems around, they tend to take good care of their equipment and are also good to buy from even if the stuff is a little older.

GSP is pretty low-demand so you could probably get away with just a couple of stronger lights or several of the cheaper ones.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jazreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see in the discussion that your lights might be questionable. Do you have the fluval marine lights? I heard they're not super powerful. If you want to know for sure though, you'd need to rent a PAR meter.

I'm relatively new to the hobby and run my tanks (The 20gal Waterbox that you see in the pics and a Reefer 300XL) on a budget. I would say look around for some used Kessils, Reef LEDs or anything of that like on Facebook Marketplace. There's plenty of people who buy equipment getting into the hobby and then decide it's not for them, and sell it lightly used for half price or cheaper if you're willing to pick up. Just as good, if you find an experienced reefer who is upgrading or changing their systems around, they tend to take good care of their equipment and are also good to buy from even if the stuff is a little older.

GSP is pretty low-demand so you could probably get away with just a couple of stronger lights or several of the cheaper ones.
Yes I have the fluval marine lights. I’m thinking to try to get gently used lights because I would like good quality ones but I’m trying to not spend 1000$ on it at the same time.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok cool. Specific recommendations I can make for you that would work, each bullet point is one option to use and they vary by price. Keep in mind that you will not want a single spotlight or small matrix fixture, because the center brace on your tank will block light. You will want a bar or large matrix, or a fixture with 2 lights on it, to bridge that center brace.
Some higher end options which will yield better coral growth, coloration and control:

OP
OP
J

jazreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok cool. Specific recommendations I can make for you that would work, each bullet point is one option to use and they vary by price. Keep in mind that you will not want a single spotlight or small matrix fixture, because the center brace on your tank will block light. You will want a bar or large matrix, or a fixture with 2 lights on it, to bridge that center brace.
Some higher end options which will yield better coral growth, coloration and control:
Thank you!! I appreciate you taking the time to send me some options!

OP
OP
J

jazreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are older and I am swapping out this weekend to the Neptune Sky that I found a deal on. GSP should manage under just about any light.
I want to eventually add more corals, so I just think it’s best to prepare myself for them and get a better light. Did you find the one you have to be good?

OP
OP
J

jazreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry just another question, the second set of options you sent (the better quality ones), would I need only 1 of those for the whole tank? For instance, the third link shows a light that’s a reasonable price but I’m not sure if it’ll be the length of my tank. Not sure if it’s supposed to hang over and not be directly on top.

crewsfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to eventually add more corals, so I just think it’s best to prepare myself for them and get a better light. Did you find the one you have to be good?
Yes, I've enjoyed the AI Hydra Gen 1, but they no longer sell that specific model. AI has newer lights now the Prime, Hydra 32 and Hydra 52. You may be able to find a used Hydra 26 for a great price. Of course that's just for AI, there are lots of other choices for lights and you'll get 100's of recommendations if you ask. Ultimately need to find what works in your budget and tank. Plenty of people have success with black box lights such as viparspectra and nicrew both on Amazon. Others prefer some if the name brands but you'll pay more for those.

PokeFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try testing phosphates. Also, I think this was mentioned before, but GSP like flow. I'd move it to a position where it can receive either direct or strong indirect current.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry just another question, the second set of options you sent (the better quality ones), would I need only 1 of those for the whole tank? For instance, the third link shows a light that’s a reasonable price but I’m not sure if it’ll be the length of my tank. Not sure if it’s supposed to hang over and not be directly on top.
it depends on what type of corals you want to keep. a single reefi fixture would probably be fine for soft corals and LPS in the whole tank, you'd just mount it a bit higher to ensure coverage. If you want SPS corals, you could probably only have them towards the center and top of the tank where the light intensity is highest. The other 2 options are more expensive because they are specifically designed to cover a wide area fully.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back