GSP dead?

jazreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had this GSP for about a month or so now. It initially took a few days to open up and then it did open. after about a week or 2 it kind of fell over and I repositioned it with a little bit of glue and it was in place. Ever since then it has never opened up again. It’s been at least 2-3 weeks. I recently cleaned it with a soft brush as there was algae on it - I noticed it was still in tact. However, today I did the same and it almost looks like some of it scrubbed off or just melted away. Is it dead?

IMG_1358.jpeg IMG_1359.jpeg

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it doesn't look dead to me. how are you water parameters? Are the other occupants happy, do you have other corals?

OP
OP
J

jazreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it doesn't look dead to me. how are you water parameters? Are the other occupants happy, do you have other corals?
I have a basic test kit and it looks as though everything in there is good (ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, pH). I only have 1 other coral which I got at the same time and that one wasn’t doing too great for a while. I moved it a couple weeks ago and it look as if it’s gotten better. My fish have been great and healthy, but these are my first 2 corals so I’m not sure if I’m doing something wrong :(

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you share the full parameters? What are you using, exactly for light and flow? full tank shot might help as well to that point

temp
salinity
nitrate
ammonia

OP
OP
J

jazreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you share the full parameters? What are you using, exactly for light and flow? full tank shot might help as well to that point

temp
salinity
nitrate
ammonia
I have a 65g tank for reference.

Light: Fluval Sea Marine 3.0 (always have blue light on 100% while lights are on)
Flow: fluval power heads for 90G x 2
Temp: 29.8F
Salinity: 1.026
Nitrate: 5.0ppm
Nitrite: 0
Ammonia: looks pretty much like 0
pH: 8.0

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is the GSP receiving sufficient flow? Where are the powerheads located? tank pics would help.

There are varying opinions about lighting "requirements" for GSP, but I seriously doubt that your 32 watt fixture is providing enough light power to the sandbed to support coral health. For comparison, my 180 watt fixture only yields 80-150 PAR on the sandbed of my 21 inch deep tank, so you'd be getting far less. Someone more informed can correct me, but GSP are generally gonna want around 100 PAR based on my "research"

Also I hope your temp is a typo? Other parameters look fine.

Rugops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes GSP can be really touchy and can close up for a while.

GSP can acclimate to a wide variety of PAR.

Please state the dkH (alkalinity).

OP
OP
J

jazreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is the GSP receiving sufficient flow? Where are the powerheads located? tank pics would help.

There are varying opinions about lighting "requirements" for GSP, but I seriously doubt that your 32 watt fixture is providing enough light power to the sandbed to support coral health. For comparison, my 180 watt fixture only yields 80-150 PAR on the sandbed of my 21 inch deep tank, so you'd be getting far less. Someone more informed can correct me, but GSP are generally gonna want around 100 PAR based on my "research"

Oops yes my temperature was definitely a typo!

OP
OP
J

jazreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So fish care about ammonia and nitrate for the most part, and temp.

Corals - even easy softies - care about stuff like alkalinity, ph, magnesium, and calcium

You'll want a full spectrum test to see where those parameters are.

Your tank looks new to me - like you're still going through an ugly early phase - so it might not be established enough for a coral.

You also should look at renting a PAR meter to understand what your light intensity is. You might have really weak light, or insanely strong light.

OP
OP
J

jazreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So fish care about ammonia and nitrate for the most part, and temp.

Corals - even easy softies - care about stuff like alkalinity, ph, magnesium, and calcium

You'll want a full spectrum test to see where those parameters are.

Your tank looks new to me - like you're still going through an ugly early phase - so it might not be established enough for a coral.

You also should look at renting a PAR meter to understand what your light intensity is. You might have really weak light, or insanely strong light.
Ya my tank is fairly new, it’s been set up since November. I have a feeling my light is probably on the weaker spectrum. Another thing is the depth of the tank is 24” and maybe the light isn’t reaching the bottom? Not sure. There has been a crazy growth of diatoms ever since I upped the intensity of the blue light.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya my tank is fairly new, it’s been set up since November. I have a feeling my light is probably on the weaker spectrum. Another thing is the depth of the tank is 24” and maybe the light isn’t reaching the bottom? Not sure. There has been a crazy growth of diatoms ever since I upped the intensity of the blue light.
knowing the light you have and the depth of your tank now, I can almost guarantee the light is not strong enough to support corals on the sand bed. I'd move the GSP up onto the rockwork, and if you're serious about keeping corals, look into buying a more substantial light. Lots of options depending on your budget, happy to offer advice on that as well.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve had this GSP for about a month or so now. It initially took a few days to open up and then it did open. after about a week or 2 it kind of fell over and I repositioned it with a little bit of glue and it was in place. Ever since then it has never opened up again. It’s been at least 2-3 weeks. I recently cleaned it with a soft brush as there was algae on it - I noticed it was still in tact. However, today I did the same and it almost looks like some of it scrubbed off or just melted away. Is it dead?

IMG_1358.jpeg IMG_1359.jpeg
Not dead. GSP can open after weeks - the question to me is 0- why is it not opening. what are your parameters vis a vis flow, light

OP
OP
J

jazreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
knowing the light you have and the depth of your tank now, I can almost guarantee the light is not strong enough to support corals on the sand bed. I'd move the GSP up onto the rockwork, and if you're serious about keeping corals, look into buying a more substantial light. Lots of options depending on your budget, happy to offer advice on that as well.
Ya that would be great. I don’t mind spending a bit of money, but I also probably don’t want the most expensive option lol. What do you think?

OP
OP
J

jazreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not dead. GSP can open after weeks - the question to me is 0- why is it not opening. what are your parameters vis a vis flow, light
It isn’t in direct line of flow but I’d say there is a decent flow around it, but again not right at it.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ScubaSkeets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After transfering my GSP to a different tank, it looked similar to yours. I think mine may have looked worse. I was going to remove it but decided to wait it out. It was like that for over a month.
However, it eventually got better, and now it looks like this:
20240106_143038.jpg

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GSP likes to pout. It will grow in just about any conditions though it's something of a myth that it's indestructible - it's still coral. It's incredibly sensitive as far as animals go just less so than other corals.

Anyway this is counter-intuitive but put the flow on it and stop scrubbing algae off it.

OP
OP
J

jazreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After transfering my GSP to a different tank, it looked similar to yours. I think mine may have looked worse. I was going to remove it but decided to wait it out. It was like that for over a month.
However, it eventually got better, and now it looks like this:
20240106_143038.jpg
Wow that looks amazing!! I’m hoping mine makes a recovery !

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 29 16.9%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 71 41.3%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 25 14.5%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 37 21.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 5.8%
Back